Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bergy bits

Gustavus, AK, United States
12 Kudos
Each science has a language all their own - the description of nuances that to specialists can make a difference in understanding and communicating basic science. Geologists and glaciologists in particular, have some pretty straightforward terms that everyone can use and enjoy. Glaciers 'calve' - that is large portions crack and break off the end, falling into water, or onto land (depending upon where the glacier ends). That portion of glacier now floating in the ocean is called an 'iceberg'. However, there are ALWAYS smaller pieces and by size, and glaciologists call them 'growlers' if large, but smaller than icebergs. But even smaller are the 'bergy bits'. Gotta love science.
Story Details
There are no details yet for this story.

On The Map