cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard SecureCode for Barclaycard Arrival

Community Manager

MasterCard SecureCode for Barclaycard Arrival

Effective April 2015, this program will no longer be available on your credit card account.

Barclaycard is committed to maintaining the security and integrity of your account.   We have a variety of services available to our cardmembers to assist with account management, including fraud alerts that will notify you by text or email if we suspect fraudulent activity on your account.  Also, transaction based account alerts, such as daily usage, spending, and credit line alerts can help you to monitor your account with ease.  To enroll in alerts, or to change your current elections, please log in to your account at www.barclaycardus.com and go to the Account Settings menu to customize the alerts.  Remember that you are not liable for any confirmed fraudulent activity on your account.

If you have any questions, please call us toll free at 888-232-0780.

We thank you for your business and look forward to continuing to serve you in the future.

For privacy and security purposes, we ask that you DO NOT post your account details (e.g. account number) in this public community. 

92 Replies
Highlighted
City Slicker

Terrible customer support. Even manager is clueless.

I am writing this as an appeal to the public and hoping it will catch Barclay's attention.

I have been having problems with enrolling my account into MasterCard SecureCode from day 1. For those of you who never heard of it SecureCode is an extra online verification system commonly used in foregin websites to deter credit card fraud. Many of them only accepts card that supports it.

The idea behind SecureCode is that in addition to security code and expiration date you must also type in a password that you previously set up. A password that isn't printed on your credit card and only you know it. If the password is incorrect the transaction won't go through. Think of it like the online version of EMV.

From day 1 I tried setting up SecureCode on MasterCard website. I always failed on the second step, verify identity, where MasterCard keep saying the information does not match what Barcaly has provided them with. After 3 tries my account was locked up.

So I picked up the phone and call Barclay. What I expect to be a simple phone call turned out to be a complete nightmare. Over several weeks I talked to number of representitive, and no one knows what I'm talking about (one even Googled SecureCode while I am on hold). I eventually escalated it to a knowledgeable manager, whom disabled and re-enabled SecureCode feature to lift the lock.

I still can't get past identity verification even after the lock was lifted. Called in and talked to another manager. This second manager volunteered to try enrolling my account on his end. He wasn't successful either, and after 3 tries my account was locked again. He said all my information looks good, and he doesn't know why this is happening.

Today is day 33, and I still can't sign up for SecureCode. There is a Japanese import website I like to place an order with my Arrival card (0% foreign transaction fee). I can't because this website only accepts card with Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode.

So tell me Barclay, do I have to use my Wells Fargo Visa card (which supports Verified by Visa) and pay 3% foreign transaction fee because I couldn't use my Arrival card?

County Wise

Re: Terrible customer support. Even manager is clueless.

trumpet205,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this post. I apologize for the frustrating experience you've had. I'm working to determine what we can do next and I'll keep you posted.

Jared

City Slicker

Please do. A big reason I signed up for Barclaycard Arrival is because of 0% foreign transaction fee plus SecureCode support. This makes it a very friendly card for foreign online shopping. There are other cards out there that have 0% foreign transaction fee but no support on Verified by Visa or SecureCode.

A credit card is supposed to be a tool for shopper, not something you have to pull your hairs out just to get it working.

Community Manager

Hi @trumpet205 Can you please email the phone number affliated with your Arrival account to BarclaycardTravel@BarclaycardUS.com? Our Customer Service Representative can then look up your specific issue and investigate. Thank you!

City Slicker

Phone number sent.

City Slicker

Here is an update:

After a 3 way call between me, Barclays, and MasterCard my problem was finally resolved. Surprisingly, it only took a day to resolved it once Jennifer forwarded my problem to customer service.

I do wish Barclays does a better job on training the basic CSRs who pick up the phone when you call the number on the back of your card. I understand that SecureCode is not common in US website (I can only think of Newegg.com who uses it), but CSRs should be knowledgable on supported features on a particular credit card. No CSR should go and Google it just to know what was being said.

Community Manager

Thank you @trumpet205 I'm glad that we were able to help correct the situation and provide you with the information quickly. We have taken your feedback to our Customer Service Team that is involved in the training procedures. Thank you again and I'm glad to be of assistance. 

City Slicker

Barclays customer service (as well as mastercard) is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! I've had the card for less than a week and cannot make international purchase online! I've been on the phone for the last 4 hours trying to explain my problem and no one seems to be able to assist with this secure code!? 

International websites require it, so please Barclays tell me, why do you market a card as an international card if you make it so diffcult to do something that it should mainly be used for...INTERNATIONAL PURCHASES! Mind you, I am using this card to purchase a plane ticket to see an ailing family member, and as you would expect prices continue to increase daily...can someone please HELP!!!

Community Manager

Hi @mkallabat We apologize if you have received anything less than superior service from us. I have requested our Customer Service Team investigate your specific issues and will post an update as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience with these issues.