cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanderlust Infection - Courtesy of our National Parks

Highlighted
City Slicker

Wanderlust Infection - Courtesy of our National Parks

Wanderlust - a term that had always resonated with me, but in a very whimsical way. Sure, I have wanderlust.  I camp a couple times a year, like to be outside, and enjoy learning about destinations around the world.  

But it wasn't until this summer, on a 3000 mile whirlwind tour with my three kids, camping every night through 7 states and 13 National Parks, Forests, and Monuments in 9 days, that I truly came to know what it feels to become infected by wanderlust.

To crave the next adventure.  To feel emotional about its beautiful possibilities.

To reflect on past adventures in a way that the joy punches you in the gut every time.

Basic itinerary few highlights from the trip:

IMG_5793.jpgBadlands Nat'l. ParkOn August 2, travel from Kansas to Badlands National Park.  

Camping in 50+ mph winds.  Yikes!

IMG_5807.jpgMt. Rushmore

IMG_5846.jpgDevils Tower

August 3: Mount Rushmore and camping and hiking at Devils Tower.

August 4: Camping in Bighorn National Forest.  We saw our first moose as it strolled through Tie Flume campground.

IMG_6005.jpgLower Falls - YellowstoneAugust 5-7: Yellowstone National Park.  Old Faithful and swimming in the Boiling River were our favorites.  And the beauty and power of the Lower Falls - breathtaking!IMG_6103.jpgGrand Teton Brewery

August 7-8: Quick trip through Grand Teton National Park and a stop at Grand Teton Brewing for some craft beer for me and tasty root beer for the kids.

IMG_6154.jpgFlaming Gorge at Red Canyon CampgroundAugust 8-9: Flaming Gorge National Recreation area and camping in Ashley National Forest - Red Canyon Campground.  Quite possibly the most beautiful place I have ever been!

IMG_6211.jpgDinosaur Nat'l Monument

August 9: Dinosaur National Monument.  A wall/cliff full of dinosaur fossils that are contiuously being excavated.  Like stepping back in time!  The kids had a blast earning their Junior Ranger Badges, too.

August 10: We made it to eastern Colorado late on the 9th.  Spent the 10th finishing the trip back to Kansas.

We were exhausted, but so full of incredible memories!  We are hooked!  

If you haven't been to a National Park/Monument/Forest, I highly recommend it.  Every one is filled with enough outdoor activiites to fill a month, and the visitors centers provide an incredible visual/hands-on history of the area's people, geograph, and geology.

This spring break we plan to head to Great Sand Dunes National Park and maybe a few others!