cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunrise of another planet

Highlighted
City Slicker

Sunrise of another planet

My fiance and I went to Maui last September, and while there, decided to go see the sunrise on top of Haleakala. We did not know, however, that you had to make parking reservations to be allowed in to the park. After waking up at 3:00am and driving for an hour (it was a 2 hour drive from our condo) we saw signs that said, "No reservation, no admittance." We thought maybe on the off chance they would allow us to go in. Thrity minutes down the road, we see another sign: "No reservation, turn around now!" At this point, we were so close to the park that we wanted to at least try. So when we got up the the gate they asked for the name the reservation number would be under. We gave them the name knowing full well they would not find anything. After telling us "no, sorry" over and over again, my fiance, as a last ditch effort asked, "Is there anything at all you can do? A favor for military?" and the gaurd shack responded in a sort of way that was like, why didn't you say so? She said, "Oh! Yeah", turned around and gave us the pass to go up the mountain and said, "Here you go." She didn't even ask us to pay the $25 to enter the park! 

We were stunned and so excited. It made what we were about to witness that much sweeter. We got up the the top right before day break, and instead of standing where everyone esle was, we hiked up a path that went around the mountain and found only about 20 people there. We were sitting on top of Maui, watching the sun rise over this gorgeous island that was covered in clouds. We felt like we were on another planet! It was the most incredible experience and I'm so glad we were afforded the opportunity to have it! IMG_3472.JPGSunrise from another planet!IMG_1073.PNGHaleakala Volcano, Maui