cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand)

Highlighted
City Slicker

Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand)

Last year, I took almost a month-long trip to Southeast Asia for work. We have an office in Singapore, but I decided to do some more adventurous exploring on the weekends during my visit. My brother also flew over from the States for the trip as well. However, I spent the first week alone in Singapore, where I checked out everything that the city had to offer.

It was the first time I have ever been to Asia. Up until this point, I had traveled throughout the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Europe. I was most certainly looking forward to checking off a few places in Asia (especially after that looooooonng plane ride! 24 hours!).

While in Singapore, I ate at various Hawker Centers (awesome food for cheap, by the way!). I checked out various temples. I even headed to the top of the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and got an awesome view of the Singapore Flyer and Gardens by the Bay! It was amazing to experience somehwhere so beautiful, yet often overlooked by travelers. They must be too afraid of the laws, which really aren't all that intense! Just don't do any disrespectful is all.

IMG_0009.JPGThe Merlion, SingaporeIMG_0003.JPGMarina Bay Sands Hotel, Singapore

The first weekend there, I flew out to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. While there, I traveled to the top of the Petronas Towers and also took a tour of the Batu Caves (which is HUGE and awesome!). There were tons of monkeys by the caves, which made things even more interesting. It was the first time I had ever traveled to another country completely solo. I loved every moment!

IMG_0008.JPGBatu Caves, Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaIMG_0006.JPGBatu Caves, Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaIMG_0004.JPGPetronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Finally, my brother arrived in Singapore after my first week there. He and I used the early evenings after work to explore more of Singapore together. However, the following weekend, we packed our bags and headed out for Bangkok, Thailand. While there, we stayed at the Warehouse, Bangkok, which is right in the middle of the old city. This is in a central location, right in the midst of all of the various temples (which are all must-sees!). We saw the Grand Palace, toured Wat Pho, and ate some of the best Thai food EVER! Unfortunately, we didn't have time to do the floating market. But perhaps, we will in a future Thailand adventure!

IMG_0002.JPGThe Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho, Bangkok, ThailandIMG_0001.JPGThe Grand Palace, Bangkok, Thailand

Overall, my trip to Southeast Asia was absolutely breath-taking and special. I not only was able to back-pack to some places by myself, but also had the opportunity to share the experience with my brother. I am most certainly looking forward to future international trips in 2018, as well as setting up my own travel blog!

Brandon R.