cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sicilian scenery, scuba, and sweets

Highlighted
City Slicker

Sicilian scenery, scuba, and sweets

In June 2017 I took an amazing solo trip to Italy, the best part being my week long adventure in Sicily. I visited Palermo, Erice, Catania, Taormina, and Siracusa. Sicily had been on my bucket list for years since it is the setting for my favorite literary series, the Inspector Montalbano novels by Andrea Camilleri. I knew Sicilian food would be amazing because the main character is always eating meals Camilleri describes delectably! However, once I arrived I was shocked by the magnitude of options for sights and activities. Since Sicily has been conquered by numerous civilizations over the centuries, there are both Greek and Roman theaters and temples across the island, as well as ruins from the Phoenicians and Carthaginians. History buffs will truly be in heaven but their sun-loving friends can also enjoy Sicily's clear waters and beaches, as I did with a scuba diving trip near Taormina. Adventure seekers can hike up Mount Etna- the largest active volcano in Europe! To recover from that, I also enjoyed numerous food tours and made friends while sampling local limoncello, marzipan, and olive oil. Every bite seemed better than the last! Everywhere I went the views were gorgeous and the people were kind. Sicily was not only the highlight of my trip but of my year and I will definitely return! Me at the Theater of Taormina, just out of the photo is Mount Etna!Me at the Theater of Taormina, just out of the photo is Mount Etna!

A glimpse of the delicious marzipanA glimpse of the delicious marzipan

The sweeping vista from Erice.The sweeping vista from Erice.

One of the many delicious stops on a food tour!One of the many delicious stops on a food tour!

The view over Taormina from the balcony of my Airbnb.The view over Taormina from the balcony of my Airbnb.