cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Zealand's Southern Alps

City Slicker

New Zealand's Southern Alps

Southern Alps from the co-pilot's seatSouthern Alps from the co-pilot's seatIt was the opportunity of a lifetime to fly over New Zealand's Southern Alps in the South Island, a flight from Queenstown to Milford Sound in mid-February, 2017. The plane was a small overwing with just 8 seats, including the pilot. I was the only person on the fully booked flight who was traveling alone, all others were in couples. So I was a bit worried about where I would be able to sit on the plane, and whether or not I'd get a good view out of the window. That was silly of me because there was no chance for a bad view that day, it was a brilliant, crystal-clear morning, and it had recently snowed. Finally we boarded. The pilot, noticing I was alone, called for me to climb in a different door than the others, and as it turned out, I was to be his co-pilot! He, of course, instructed me not to touch anything, but I was literally in the cockpit (in the co-pilot's seat) for arguably the most beautiful flight in the world! It was an absolutely surreal experience over the awesome Southern Alps, bound for the majestic Milford Sound in the Fiordland National Park. It is a memory and feeling that will stay with me for the rest of my days!