cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Years on the Mountain

City Slicker

New Years on the Mountain

Hager Mountain Fire LookoutHager Mountain Fire LookoutMy favorite trip and memory from 2017 was when I spent New Years on Hager Mountain, where I stayed in a fire lookout, surrounded by snow-covered mountains. If you have ever lived in the PNW, then you have heard of fire lookouts. They are small cabins, positioned at the highest points in a given area and are run by the forest service, then rented out in the off season. They are also extremely hard to acquire,  having to make reservations at least 6 months in advance, and as soon as it goes available to rent online. 

My girlfriend had miraculously seen a cancelation during new year for the Hager Mountain Fire Lookout, in SE Oregon. We jumped at the opportunity. My girlfriend, our two dogs and I had to hike in 4 miles with snowshoes, all uphill to the top of Hager Mountain. We spent two days bundled up with our dogs, next to a hot wood fire, eating snacks as the day passed, and the snow kept falling on the mountain. It was the best trip of 2017 because it was so unexpected, and I had everything I needed up on that mountain. If only it could have lasted longer.