cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mommy Son Scandinavian Whirlwind

City Slicker

Mommy Son Scandinavian Whirlwind

Last May I was entering my second trimester with my second child As we departed on our our ‘mommy-son-baby moon’ trip to Iceland and Scandinavia. My husband was busy with exams, and the clock was ticking before my 2.5 year old would soon have to share me with his sister, so we headed out just me and my boy! 

We started in Iceland for several days, rented our own car and stayed in an Airbnb. We traipsed around Reykjavík, at a toddler pace. Rode a puffin-spotting ferry around the harbor, and drove to and through nearby Thingvellir National Park. We took our time at the waterfalls, as they are mesmerizing. I was sitting with my son when a local said, “I should take a photo of your backs.” So it is. This moment, as I clutched my boy on the edge of a platform, with icey waters rushing under our feet, with my new kiddo safe and warm in my belly! 

After Iceland we flew to Norway and proceeded to slowly train to Sweden, Denmark, and Germany, taking a few days in each capital, staying in Airbnbs. My son is very into trains, trams, ferries, subways, etc., he was in transportation heaven. And it was a fabulous time wearing jackets and visiting sprawling green city parks in Scandinavian spring. Back home in dry Arizona it was already over 100 degrees!

At last my boy and I boarded our last mommy-son flight in Berlin bound for Dublin, Ireland where we met my husband to travel as a whole family up the rugged Wild Atlantic Way. 

Now that I have my new baby and I'm

learning to attend to two parent-child relationships, I look back on that super special adventure  I took with my son and feel so blessed to have had that time. Now sometimes instead of made up bedtime stories he asks me to talk about our adventures! Can’t get any sweeter!Mommy and son admiring a waterfall in Thingvellir National Park, IcelandMommy and son admiring a waterfall in Thingvellir National Park, Iceland

All together exploring the Cliffs of Moher, Ireland.All together exploring the Cliffs of Moher, Ireland.