cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love, Wine and Sunsets in Utah

City Slicker

Love, Wine and Sunsets in Utah

When the boyfriend says "Come with me on a work trip, I'm going to _____," my usual response is "When?" 

It's always been a dream of mine to travel the world and to find someone who I'd like to travel the world with. Lucky for me, I found both tIMG_0238.jpeghree and a half years ago. During that time, my better half and I have visited all of the major cities in the United States and in 2017, we made it a point to start exploring the more peaceful facets of the country... which leads me to my favorite travel memory of 2017 - Provo/Moab, Utah.

Per usual, we tacked on a mini-vacation to a work trip. I'd never been to Utah before, so we thought it would be a good time to scratch another city off our list and get some time with Mother Nature in. As soon as I arrived to Provo, Utah, I knew that a good time would be had all around. We found great food (at Black Sheep Cafe), made bar friends (at City Limits) and even got to explore the windy roads of Y Mountain. Our room provided the perfect vantage point for stellar sunrises and city views (during various activities). We wandered the city and binged watched a Netflix show. It was great. 

Though, while we loved Provo, we were in the West after all, so we thought, "why not make our way over to a national park?" After much discussion (in the 10 minutes we allowed ourselves), we decided to take a three-hour drive down to Moab to visit Arches National Park (which, by the way, is well worth a visit). 

Why then, are you all seeing a photo of me looking down into wine bottle by the side of the road instead of me under some arch in Moab?

On the way down this highway to Moab, it's hard to not want to stop at every opportunity and take in all the nature surrounding you. So 15 minutes before sunset, we found a turnoff on the side of the road, turned up the 90s music we had streaming on the radio, cracked open the leftover wine from the night before and just took a moment to appreciate the magnificent sight of the sun going down. While its rays began reflecting off various surfaces, transforming the sky to various hues of blues, reds, oranges, grays, we sat on the roof of the rental car to experience this sunset, with our solo cups of wine and each other.

This was my favorite travel moment of 2017 because it was not only the most beautiful sunset I'd seen in a while, I was exactly where I wanted to be, doing exactly what I wanted to be doing, feeling exactly how I wanted to feel, with the only person I wanted to share all of that with. And that....was pretty special.