Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Italian Adventure Hiking in the Clouds

Highlighted
City Slicker

Italian Adventure Hiking in the Clouds

Bren_view_dolomites.jpgGazing in awe over the Dolomites

As a hard-working single mom, I was finally able to save enough to bring my two children to Europe, specifically Italy, for the first time this past summer of 2017.  After a great but exhausting three days in Venice, we headed north to the spectacular Dolomite mountains, leaving the heat, humidity and chaos of Venice behind for cool mountain air and glacial blue lakes. 

The highlight of our trip was taking the cable car up to the high mountain pass of Falzarego, with treacherous rocky paths leading to old World War I tunnels and endless breathtaking panoramas. After our adventure, we snacked on a well deserved platter on delicious local charcuterie, breads and cheeses (and a Hefewiezen for me!) at the inn at the summit of the mountain.  Unforgettable memories!

2 Replies
City Slicker

Re: Italian Adventure Hiking in the Clouds

Hello! Beautiful photo! Was this a day trip from Venice or did you overnight closer to the pass?

City Slicker

Re: Italian Adventure Hiking in the Clouds

Thanks!  We stayed two nights in the town of Alleghe, right near Monte Civetta, about a half hour from our hiking destination of the Falzarego Pass, about two hours north of Venice.  We stayed at the Sport Hotel Europa in Allgehe....wonderful service, great breakfast and rooms overlooking Lake Alleghe seen below!Alleghe_boat.jpgAlleghe_hotel.JPG