cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Igniting the Young Minds Curiosity

Highlighted
City Slicker

Igniting the Young Minds Curiosity

I am a public school teacher, so when the calendar happens to fall on June, I know it is time.  It's time to set out and find an adventure, a journey; to get lost, to experience what this world has to offer.

In the summer of 2017, I had the fantastic opportunity to explore Hawaii with my two nieces.  As we live on different regions of the United States, it is such a joy to see how their minds are beginning to develop and ask questions, and even more importantly, seek the answers.  

We found ourselves on the top of the Mauna Kea Observatory.  It was cold, dark, and not the best situation for hungry 10 and 11 year olds.  But we looked on at the vastness of space and wondered how far the Milky Way was from our planet, if their was other life forms, and of course the age old question "when are we going to drink our hot chocolate?"

As I set up my tripod to grab the shot, explained what I was doing and how they had to remain very still for the 10-second exposure to work.  Once I clicked the shutter, the anticipation amongst the three of us grew and grew.  When I told them that the photo was finished and for them to come around, the look on their faces as they peered onto the camera to see the mysteries of the universe unveil itself, it made the trip all worth it.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 6.20.45 PM.png