cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Icelandic crater marks the start of 9 weeks backpacking in Europe

City Slicker

Icelandic crater marks the start of 9 weeks backpacking in Europe

After months of researching, planning, and dreaming, I found myself staring down into the sapphire waters of the red-rimmed volcanic crater lake known as Kerið, thinking to myself, "I am actually here. I am finally here." The mesmerizing scene that lay before me is just a taste of the beauty that is to engulf me on my travels throughout the captivating country of Iceland.

But not just Iceland. Over the next 9 weeks, I found myself drinking in the sites, sounds, smells, and tastes of 17 different countries in Europe. From breathing in the views of the emerald Cliffs of Moher, to striding along the stony Walls of Old Dubrovnik, as if I am indeed a character in Game of Thrones, to feeling the force of the sea water below me as I kayak off the coast of Greece, to tickling my tastebuds on all things pasta and gelato in Italy, all my dreaming and hard work had culminated in a lifetime of experiences. When I look back on my summer, I feel my heart swell with gratitude. Gratitude that I came to the end of my journey a different person, forever changed.
Kerið Crater, IcelandKerið Crater, Iceland