cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiking Roys Peak in New Zealand

City Slicker

Hiking Roys Peak in New Zealand

Visiting New Zealand is not only my favorite 2017 travel memory, but my favorite ever. New Zealand has been at the top of my bucket list since elementary school, after writing a report on the country. 

That dream came true this year. I spent two weeks in the land of Kiwis on a father-daughter adventure of a lifetime. 

New Zealand is an incredibly beautiful country and I wanted to see as much of it's dynamic landscapes as possible. One adventure on this trip that stands out is the hike of Roys Peak in Wanaka. 

It's a 10-mile roundtrip hike a steep mountain. I've never pushed myself so hard physcially. Meanwhile, my 72-year-old dad hiked it like we were on a Sunday stroll. We had our ups and down on this hike. We started at 5 AM in the dark, using headlamps. As the sun rose, we still couldn't see just how far we needed to go due the cloud cover. On mile 4 up, I discovered we managed to leave our snacks in the car, both thinking the other grabbed them. 

But then, we broke through the clouds, and could spot the top just when you thought you'd never reach it. It still blows my mind that I hike above the clouds. Being from Florida, the only time I've been above clouds is in a plane. Even though we couldn't see the lake and city below from the peak, I loved our view. It was magical. 

Roys Peak, New ZealandRoys Peak, New Zealand