cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Adventure in Australia

Highlighted
City Slicker

Family Adventure in Australia

Last August, our family (my husband, 13-year-old son, and 6-year-old daughter) took a wild and wonderful trip to Australia. We spent two weeks doing quintessential Australian activities and the land down under did not disappoint. Large swaths of Queensland near the coast is tropical rainforest, containing many unique animals such as tree kangaroos and cassowaries. We took two different private rainforest tours and learned so much it was amazing. What I really liked best is that we had to get out of our comfort zone and do things we wouldn’t have in any other circumstances: things like licking the butt of a green ant to find it tasted like lemon, squeezing ourselves into the giant roots of a fig tree (pictured), taking selfies with a python, and walking through the dark rainforest to spy on nocturnal animals (just watch out for the hand-sized huntsman spiders on the railings!). Then we would come back to our lovely, quiet apartment complex near the beach and swim in the pools. Of course, we went snorkeling on the reef and visited the crocodile farm. But we also took a lovely trip to a volcanic park in the outback where we breakfasted with kookaburras and hunted for gemstones in dry riverbeds. We will cherish the memories of these adventures together as a family for the rest of our lives

Getting close to my teenager in AustraliaGetting close to my teenager in Australia