cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas 2017 at Lake Bohinj, Slovenia

City Slicker

Christmas 2017 at Lake Bohinj, Slovenia

26695346_10155092942046196_194551782_o.jpg

As a New Yorker living full-time as a teacher in Spain, I am faced with a difficult decision every year: to go home to my family and friends over Christmas, or take my two week holiday and travel through Europe. For some it is a no-brainer because Christmas is Christmas, but not for me; after much deliberation, I decided to travel and the trip was beyond any expectation. Somehow, mostly out of sheer intrigue, I ended up in Ljubljana, Slovenia without any knowledge of their customs, cultures, language, etc. As I made my way through the city, I met a sweet, local clerk than ran a wine shop on the river and began talking about our travels. “Go to Lake Bohinj. You won’t regret it,” she told me without any further details. So, blindly taking this stranger’s advice, I took a day trip from the city to visit this magical place. I stepped off the bus and was thrust into a winter wonderland unparalleled by anything I have ever encountered: crisp, mountain air, towering reflections of the mountains on the water, snow-capped trees; it gave me the ultimate feeling of tranquility and bliss. Taken back by the incredible scenery, I had to take a moment to mentally capture this and sat down at the lake’s edge. Although there is no way to replicate the feeling of being home with family on Christmas, this place gave me the next best feeling. In my few years of traveling, I have never seen anything so beautiful.