cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antarctica is no longer untouched!

Highlighted
City Slicker

Antarctica is no longer untouched!

The icebreaker left the port of Cape Town, South Africa and headed south, for ten straight days. You know when you usually travel by plane you check the time left to fly or by car you check how many more miles to go and so on. In this case I was counting how many parallels we crossed and how many more to go. I agree, it's an odd measure of distance.

But then we spotted the first icebergs and the time was flying simply because you can't get enough of how marvelous such a scenery is in all its stillness, quietness and coldness. Nonetheless, it is a site, or more of an experience, that pictures can fully grasp. At least not my clumsy pictures. :)

Anyway, I was expecting Antarctica to be this virgin place which humans haven't had the chance to pollute or change in a number of ways. And this impression is probably true for the most part because the continent itself is so forbidding. And here I am, setting foot for the first time on the Antarctic continent and within 5 minutes I spot vehicles almost covered in snow and ice that, as I learned a bit later, have been left there 20-30 years ago because they got broken. It seems that in Antarctica it is business as usual :(. 

Sailing your way through these mountains of ice is breathtakingSailing your way through these mountains of ice is breathtaking

Overwhelming in size and coldnessOverwhelming in size and coldnessSouth pole is still a long way to go... :)South pole is still a long way to go... :)And prove that people can trash any place!And prove that people can trash any place!left behind to rust..left behind to rust..no commentsno comments