cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 seasons in 1 day, courtesy of Ecuador

Lorz46
County Wise

4 seasons in 1 day, courtesy of Ecuador

"Come visit me in Ecuador! I promise it is a country like no other. No where else can you experience all 4 seasons in 1 day."

Um...I live in upstate New York and I'm pretty sure we do. 

I was wrong.

He started us with winter, courtesy of Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world. We hiked up to the refuge shelter, which was 15,900ft. BRRR.At the top of Cotopaxi refuge centerAt the top of Cotopaxi refuge center

After being at the top, he then showed us spring via swing at the edge of the world in Baños. I wanted to use the baño before I was able to open my arms like that. It's a lot scarier than it looks!Swing at the edge of the world, BañosSwing at the edge of the world, Baños

And then came summer, diving into the clear blue waters of Galapagos Islands.Open water dive at North Seymour, GalapagosOpen water dive at North Seymour, Galapagos

But we mustn't forget fall, although Ecuador's fall cannot compete with upstate NY fall. Still, old town Quito was beautiful. The Virgin Mary atop El Panecillo Hill, looking over Old Town QuitoThe Virgin Mary atop El Panecillo Hill, looking over Old Town Quito

This trip was by far my favorite of the year not only because of the experience, but also because it almost didn't happen. The tragic storm in Texas occurred around this time and our connecting flight was supposed to fly through there. Our vacations were approved, Galapagos tour already paid for and non-refundable... and then our flight got cancelled. Through determination and persistence (i.e. making #allthephonecalls) we managed to find a flight one day before we were originally supposed to leave. And so we went and had an even more amazing time.

Don't you love it when things work out? :)