cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Cup in Brazil Summer 2014

County Wise

World Cup in Brazil Summer 2014

Anyone else going?  If so what city?  Any advice?

16 Replies
County Wise

Re: World Cup in Brazil Summer 2014

I was able to book a hotel in Cuiaba for $120 USD a night which was a steal compared to the going rate on most travel sites.  The way I got my deal was by booking it through FIFA's website, they have an accommodation portion of their page.  I am still trying to get a deal on a flight, the going rate from the Baltimore/DC area is between $1400-$1500 (best deal so far), but I am trying to get it for around $1200-$1300.  Any advice on how to get a cheaper rate, like sites to use or anything like that?

Stately Explorer

I will be in Rio and Sao from June 24-July 3. I got my flights first. The dates I got my flights seemed to be the cheapest option from Seattle. I wanna go to 3 games: 42 & 50 in Rio, 55 in Sao. I will be staying with a friend of mine in the Flamengo neighborhood of Rio. In Sao, I used my hotel reward points to get a room in Staybridge Suites in  the Itaim Bibi district. I am gonna be flying Gol Airlines between Sao & Rio. Flights to Sao from US seems to be a lot cheaper than Rio. Getting to Sao and then flying to Rio might be cheaper than a single booking to Rio. Sao-Rio-Sao cost me $81 & Seattle-Sao-Seattle cost me $1191. That is on Air Canada. I didn't win any game tickets and I couldn't buy tickets during the first come first serve phase. Rio and Sao tickets are the most difficult to get.

County Wise

I am still undecided if I am going. There is alot of talk about security checks and ensuring that the ticket name matches your ID, etc. But I went to the World Cup in Germany in 2006 and that did not happen. It's not logistically possible for them to check all of these tickets at the gate and get everyone in the game on time. So if you want to get tickets to Sao, you can get them off of a reputable site and you should be fine. 

I also used the system where FIFA allows you to get tickets last minute. The catch is if you sign up and are granted tickets then you get charged even if you can't go. But I think you can specify a certain city. This worked for me. I was in Berlin and got an offer to go to a game in Hamburg the following day. My wife and I drove out and saw Ecuador against Costa Rica. It was fun.

Come to think of it I might just go tell that travel story now...

Stately Explorer

Thank you for your tips. Yea, I'm gonna try my luck during the next lottery phase and the fcfs phase too. Hoping for the best. Considering there's still 2/3 of the total tickets left to be allocataed, I'm just hoping for the best.

County Wise

I just posted my story...now I want to go again!  I tried lottery and then failed but if you really want to go then it will definitely work out.

http://barclaycardtravel.com/t5/Stories/My-World-Cup-Experience-in-Germany-2006/ba-p/18131

County Wise

Best of luck on getting tickets everyone!  I was experiencing the same troubles, I didn't get the lottery tickets to Rio, so I decided to go off the beaten path to Cuiaba.  I figured there wouldn't be as big of as demand.  On the first come first serve day of course I tried to get Rio or Sao Paulo, but I winded up with Cuiaba.  Which winded up not being bad because it is right by the Pantanal which is beautiful, but getting a decent rate on flights are giving me trouble.  However, there is still a lot of time so I am hoping that they have deals between now and mid January.  Any advice?

City Slicker

I fly to Brazil once or twice a year as my wife is from Sao Paulo.  I'm usually flying out of Cleveland through JFK, Detroit, or Atlanta.  Typically prices range from $1200-$1400 between April and June (that is, when the world cup is not in Brazil).  $1500 out of BWI or Dulles may be a realistic price to pay during this incredibly busy time.

Stately Explorer

What I'd definitely look into is flights from North America to Sao Paulo. And then take domestic flight to your final destination. I researched this option for quite some time, and the sheer number of flights between NA and Sao Paulo makes this route very competitive. Another thing to look for is the Korean Air flight from LA to Sao Paulo which operates MWF and return TThSa. This flight is a lot cheaper than others as it is a fifth-freedom flight. It originates in Incheon and then LAX and the Sao Paulo. GOL Brazilian airlines is a great option to fly within Brazil. I got my Sao-Rio-Sao flight for $81.

Oh, and obviously check prices everyday, and be as flexible as you can with your dates. I use Kayak for flexible date search and skyscanner.com as a source of 2nd opinion. In my case, Skyscanner found cheaper rate than Kayak for both my SEA-SAO-SEA flight as well as SAO-RIO-SAO.

Also, when you enter airport codes, use SAO for Sao Paulo which includes both GRU and CGH. and RIO for Rio as it includes GIG and SDU. There are free shuttles between GRU and GIG and as long as there's 5 hours between your flights, transiting should be easy. I fly into GRU from Seattle and then catch my flight out of CGH. There's 5 hours between these flights too

County Wise

Thanks for the advice I will definitely pursue these options and then give an update once I get my flight.  I looked today on all of my different sites and I saw that it went down to $1400 woooooo!!!