cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Where do you really want to go when we are free to travel again?

Internationally Known

Re: Where do you really want to go when we are free to travel again?

Kranzie10, I've said this before but want to say it again, I'm happy that you have overcome your battle with cancer.  I have not had to go through that but my father had prostate cancer and lymphoma.  I helped out some with him through his battles.  

I think your battle was not a sign to skip Scotland but a sign to wait until you can better enjoy your trip.  

As for points, I read a lot and subscribe to several different emails about points.  The one issue I have with the emails is that most of them seem to focus on loyalty status and booking first and business class airfares.  While that would be very nice, I'm a little more frugal and would rather ride in coach for fewer points/miles and be able to take more trips with my hard earned points.  

Barclays is a great place to start building your points/miles portfolio especially with the exceptional opportunity we have to earn miles by sharing our travels through the BTC.  IHG is another good card to add into your portfolio.  I don't feel it appropriate to go into too much on Barclays site but throw in a card or two with transferable rewards (flexible rewards) and travel portals.  I am a fan of Hilton so I splurge and have the Aspire card which has a lot of perks that offset the AF.  The Asia trip I had to cancel was covered by 5 different cards from 3 companies.  

Check out some of the many different Points and Miles blogs, you can learn a lot.  They also let you know when a card is having a big signup bonus or other special earning opportunities.  Also, check out the shopping portals and dining programs. If you use United they also have an app called United Mileage Plus X.  With that app you can purchase an e-gift card while at the cash register (at participating stores) and earn more miles per dollar on top of what you earn from the card.  You don't have to have the United card but if you do you earn 5% more miles per purchase for just having it registered on you account.  Example, You register your United card and Arrival Plus, purchase you e-gift card with the Arrival Plus and you will earn your two Barclay miles per dollar plus you will earn United miles based on the purchase multiplier.  

Sorry, I sometimes get going and don't know when to stop.  Learn and earn, then Enjoy.  

Jeff

Internationally Known

Liketraveling,  I can't even begin to think about a trip that would take us somewhere for two months until after my wife retires.  I mentioned a trip to Europe and traveling through 3 or 4 countries, well ideally I would like to take a month but we will have to see how much vacation time my will have when it comes time for that trip.  

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to travel to Asia yet.  Went to NZ and Australia in 1978 but that is the only time I have been west past Hawaii.   That's why I was so excited about our trip we had to cancel.  

I believe it was @Ed4000 that said this site is addicting, well that's how the points and miles hobby is for me.  I guess it's not a bad addiction.  

looking forward to seeing your travel stories for where ever you decide to travel.  

Jeff

Internationally Known

Seychelles is the scuba diving capital of the world!  A quick look at pretty much any Seychelles-related photographic materials will clearly indicate why.  The clear, blue Indian Ocean water is just unsurpassed.  But for me, it's not so much (or at all!) the scuba aspect so much as it's the fact that Seychelles was, for a long time, the farthest-away, most exotic place I could imagine.  Now, I'd put St. Helena or something in the big, empty South Pacific on that list.  Regardless, it's far, far away, American-friendly, English-speaking, and, well, a wonderful place to take lots and lots of magical photos.  

Madagascar is interesting too.  I do love baobab trees, but I'm a bit concerned about the Madagascar-ian (Wikipedia edit: Malgasy is the adjective form) government.  They seem a bit heavy-handed.  

Best of luck to all.  These future travel plans certainly serve to make my week better.  We'll all get back to traveling at some point.  The world is too beautiful a place to not.

Internationally Known

Where do I really want to go is different from where I can realistically go, even post Covid.  Where I really want to go is the Falklands and South Georgia.  Antarctica is the only contintent I have yet to visit, but I have to say I am not that interested.  The Falklands and South Georgia have everything the Antartic Arm has, and so much more.  However, that trip will have to wait until I am retired.

For at least the remainder of this year, I think my travels will be limited to road trips.  There is still a great deal of the US I haven't seen, so a couple of weeks on the road might be perfect for this summer. 

I hope you get to Asia sooner rather than later!

Internationally Known

@KennyM wrote:

A trip to Seychelles has always been on my bucket list.  I recently turned 40 and visiting Seychelles has always been just out of reach for whatever reason.  Sadly, I read that Seychelles is closing itself to cruises until 2022.  I'm guessing this means that travel restrictions for the island nation in general will be tighter.  I'm really hoping that I don't use this as yet another way to avoid a trip to Seychelles.  

I am dying to go to the Seychelles! We went to the Maldives in February (RIGHT before corona really blew up), and I fell in love with it. We've heard the Seychelles is just as beautiful but with more things to do (hiking, etc.) 

Time to start saving up all of our points in 2020 so that maybe we can get there in 2021!

Internationally Known

I have traveled a bit, but mostly it is repeated visits to the same places with a few opportunities to venture further out for a few days and sometime up to two weeks, because most of my trips have been to business related. Seychelles and Maldives are certainly those places I did not have a chance to visit. RΓ©union seems to be so wonderful, but I am not sure if I will ever have a chance to visit there in my life. The name South Georgia pumps my adrenaline... I just once again realize how many places I have never been to yet..... Some places I really want to go are Caucasus, central Asia (-stan countries), Greenland, Nile River and Egyptian archeological sites, Russia inclduing remote Far eastern regions of Russia, and Tibet/Xinjiang regions in China. Realistically, in a few years, I hope I can drive the entire route of the Alskan Highway, visit Newfoundland, Poland, Romania, Baltic countries, and Scandinavia.        

Stately Explorer

I think this is the million-dollar question but it may not even be where do we want to go as much as were can we go..LOL πŸ€”. I wrote a similar post we are going to Italy as well (Crema) but relocating there. Greece is beautiful I hope that one is solid and works out for you. In the next 12 months we want to go to 3 places Capri, Italy... (Back too) Iceland, and Morocco (killer road trip planned). 

I think the most refreshing thing will be when WE get a chance to travel the location may not even be the biggest quandary but just enjoying the time you get to be with your loved ones since it has been so scary not knowing if you could see your family again for some people.

Internationally Known

Hey All.  KennyM chiming in again on this same topic.  To echo a few points made by earlier posters, it really will be a blessing when we can just travel again...anywhere.  Sure Seychelles would be great to visit, but I'd settle for a nice trip (of the non-work-related variety) in pretty much any area of the world which is safe to visit.  In short, I'm trying to look forward less to the actual destination and more to the fact that I am once again free to roam the world to extent my budget and ambitions allow. 

Cheers to all and please remains safe in this weird, weird time in history (for several reasons).