cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do in Savannah and/or Charleston in May end ?

Internationally Known

What to do in Savannah and/or Charleston in May end ?

I have a Bluegreen vacation voucher which I have to use by June (It was essentially free, though I have to sit through a two hours sales pitch). I don't mind that and have done several in the past to get free hotel stays. Based on my schedule and airfare etc. I have narrowed down to two properties in Savannah or Charleston during the Memorial Day weekend. Now the question is what to do there with a kid as I have never been to either of these beautiful cities. I welcome your suggestions. TIA

6 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: What to do in Savannah and/or Charleston in May end ?

Fort Sumter is always a great trip.

Stately Explorer

Charleston Sole Walking Tour is great. If you have a rental car, drive a bit north of Charleston and go to The Center for Birds of Prey in Awendaw. Sandlapper Water Tours goes to the private uninhabited Morris Island (we loved this boat tour).

If you go to Savannah, eat at the Pink House. It's phenonemal.

Stately Explorer

Visited Savannah with friends in January and we stayed on Tybee Island -- so beach, lighthouse, and I'd even recommend the Bonaventure Cementary. There's probably a lot more to get into on season in Savannah as well, just walking around the downtown was wonderful. There's tons of different tours, and even a haunted house tour (didn't get a chance to check it out) if you're into that! 

Internationally Known

There are also cool historical carriage rides in Charleston, and I was really surprised to find out it is a world class food city, and foodies will rejoice;)

Internationally Known

In Savannah, for a good meal (and lots of butter), go to Paula Deen's Creek House and Grill.

Places the kids might enjoy would be a day at the Tybee Island beach, the Savannah Children's Museum, Forsyth Park, and the Oatland Island Wildlife Center. 

RJean
Internationally Known

Thanks a lot. Just reached Charleston this afternoon. We will drive to Savannah day after tomorrow.