cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Your 2015 Travel Resolution?

County Wise

Re: What's Your 2015 Travel Resolution?

To make a friend everywhere I travel! And to pace myself while I am having fun during my travels.

City Slicker

I want to put aside enough money to take an international trip somewhere new instead of dumping all of my money in to student loans as I have been since I graduated. Im looking forward to seeing and learning new things once again

Nationally Recognized

My first resolution is to burn up most of my Delta Skymiles for business class seats to great destinations, because the 2015 program makes it difficult for even someone who travels 100,000 miles a year to keep Platinum status.

My second has to do with continuing my bucket list, which I started 5 years ago (although I had to be told I was doing so).  During that time I traveled all over, including Egypt, three weeks before the Revolution. I started with the Pyramids at Giza, Memphis and Saqqara, and took the most amazing 'overday' tour to Luxor, the Valley of the Kings and Queens, Hatshepsut's temple, the Colossi of Memnon, and Luxor Temple. It was the most awesome travel experience of my life, but that part of the trip only lasted 14 hours. Ever since I have told all my friends and students that I really want to go back to Egypt, though the past few years have not exactly been a good time to do so.

So in 10 days I am doing so, but this time straight to Luxor. I'm flying business class free to Cairo then taking an Egyptair flight to Luxor, where I'll be staying at the Hilton Resort and Spa which has an astonishing 100% approval rating on tripadvisor.  As someone who teaches ancient Egypt (among many other things), I was able to schedule the max of what I really want to see and explore with Memphis Tours.

Just crossing my fingers there isn't a big snowstorm in New England then!  But I guess the lesson I learned 5 years and still feel is carpe diem.  I had then as now reasons for feeling I need to seize the day.  I will not be reckless or go to places that are clearly dangerous, but I am not doing to put my dreams off till tomorrow, because for too many people I know tomorrow never comes.

ProfFrancesca

City Slicker

I hope to master the postal system and send at least 1 handwritten postcard to my loved ones a month so long as I am abroad!

City Slicker

To visit what my husband refers to as the "Disney Trifecta": Disneyworld (FL), Disneyland (CA), and EuroDisney (Paris). Paris is already booked!

City Slicker

New Resolution:

Visit an old friend in the UK while he's attending The University of Oxford on scholarship!

Nationally Recognized

hi Rocky,

I get it, though maybe not in the way you meant it.  I am an absolute hermit by nature at home, but I make all kinds of friends abroad.  My most recent serious friend I met on a Louis Cruise of Greek islands.  She is from New Zealand but lives in Canada, but we correspond.  To me, making friends in the countries I visit is somehow (oddly) more important to me than making friends in the small town in which I live.  I also got an email Christmas card from a wonderful tour company I traveled with in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast today. 

Even though I'm a very private person at home, I feel like when I'm in another country I should act (as much as I can) as an ambassador of my country abroad.  I have lived in France and to a lesser degree in Italy, and since I speak both languages, natives often express their feelings to me when an 'ugly American' steps up to the plate (or usually the ticket desk). Assuming I can't do anything to help the situation, I mainly pretend I'm Italian or French, though it's a stretch based on appearance.

But the joy of encountering people in their own countries remains paramount for me.  Since I'm now on new adventures, I have started teaching myself Greek with the help of Pimsleur and other programs (I hate Rosetta Stone -- maybe for young people, but not for people of a certain age who need to know how a language works). Since I'm going back to Egypt in 9 days, I got the Pimsleur program for Egyptian Arabic, and it follows the same format, so I'm getting it quickly.  I probably will only be able to say a few phrases, but those few phrases can make all the difference.

Cheers for the New Year,

ProfFrancesca

Nationally Recognized

Hi kxp,

Don't feel bad -- they will pay off.  I was $80,000 in debt by the time I finished grad school, and I got many itinerant professorships before a a tenure-track position where I am.  I am now a full tenured professor (actually nearing retirement -- 7 years if I can make it to 70).  Do follow your dreams.  They've taken me places I never thought I'd ever visit.

Cheers,

ProfChiara

Nationally Recognized

First, we are planning a few short local area trips with the grandkids and the big kid to places like San Antonio, Houston, and Corpus Christi for the historical sites and just plain fun. Also I hope to take in Scarborough Faire this year as it's been several years since we've made it that direction.  This summer I'm looking to repeat last year's summer through Florida, up the East Coast to Nova Scotia with a different group of grandkids who are better behaved and wiill let me stop where I want and see the attractions and parks I want and who don't think GPS is infallible and maps were written by idiots. 

County Wise

My resolution for this year is to not second guess my decision.  My husband isn't as picky as me so he lets me choose the hotel (we determine the location together).  I'm always trying to find the best that we can afford but as soon as I book it I second guess myself.  No more!  This year I will book things and then just look forward to it!