cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What city do you love the most - and why?

Community Manager

What city do you love the most - and why?

We loved reading everyone's comments about their 2015 bucket list, but it's always helpful to hear about other people's experiences as they travel - particularly if its to a place that they would visit again and again.  We're wondering - what destinations have you been to that you really loved?

26 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: What city do you love the most - and why?

I've been to Lucerne Switzerland twice as a high schooler and would go back a few more times with my wife and kids.

However, in general, I would prefer to go visit somewhere new over going back to the same city again.

Nationally Recognized

In general I agree with Steve that I want to go places (especially ones of historical interest to me) where I have never been, but the city I always go back to is Venice.  My first ever spontaneous trip in the mid-1990s was a disaster and I didn't go back for a long time.  Then as my research changed, I started going at different times of the year, and fell head over heels in love with the city.  I think only Greece has the same combination of water and light that enchants me so much.  I have been over 15 times in the past few years, including last December (my favorite month in Venice, when you have it to yourself and the Venetians), and will also be going again next month.  This sounds cliché, but I feel that a part of my soul is in Venice.

I had much the same experience with Rome, with a terrible experience the first time in the 90s but coming to love it as I returned many times.  Still, for me, it'll never be Venice.  But it's one good reason to go back to a place that many people think is very special even if you had a bad experience.

ProfFrancesca

City Slicker

I fell in love with Stockholm. I've travelled to a large number of the major cities in the world, and up until this point, Paris was my favorite. However, there is just something magical about Stockholm. 

I went in September and  enjoyed the bluebird skies and warm sun. I enjoyed the fantastic sites like Skansen, the Vasa, the royal palace, and Drottningholm Palace, to name a few. 

Definitely take a boat ride if you can. The whole city sits on prettier waterways than Venice or Amsterdam, everything is tree-lined, and the fantastic architecture rises above the water. Also I would highly recommend the Stockholm card--it will save you a lot of money if you want to hit a great number of the sites. 

I spent 2 days in this city and cannot wait to get back. I had low expectations, and I have never been to a more beautiful city. Friendly people, good (though expensive) food, amazing historic sites, and close to the archipeligo islands. I cannot recommend Stockholm enough. 

County Wise

I loved exploring both Istanbul and Rome.  Both places have such history and culture that walking around different neighborhoods streets and alleys seemed like there were rewards and treasures around every corner!

County Wise

Seoul. I have been living here for almost 3 years, and I love it. Incredibly convenient. Everything is open, and its so easy. Hong Kong is a close second, but the living accommodations are just too small...

County Wise

Oh wow this is a hard question.  I traveled a lot this past summer/fall and everyone was constantly asking what my favorite place was.  I ended up telling them that that was like asking a mother who her favorite child was, haha.  Essentially I loved every place for different reasons, but here were a few notable spots!

Lagos, Portugal-the most incredibly beautiful beaches and just a wonderful town.  I would 100% go back as a honeymoon or a girls trip.

Ireland (Pretty much any town at all)-Such a homey feeling with welcoming people, I'm looking forward to bringing my parents!

Paris is just magical.  There's something about that city that just enchants me.  If I had to pick a favorite, this would probably be it.

Interlaken, Switzerland had incredible adventure.  Bungee jumping, sleeping in tents in the Swiss Alps, climbing mountains, etc.  It was just simply beautiful. 

Barcelona, Spain- I loved the culture and the beaches and the city and *sigh* all of it.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil because sometimes Europe seems a little TOO much like home and Brazil was enough flavor to keep my trip spicy and keep me on my toes.

But just like other's have said- as much as I loved each place I went, my bucket list is so long now that I'm just dying to go somewhere new.  I love, love, loved Europe, but this summer I'm heading to Central America and hopefully someday soon I'll head to Southeast Asia.  Wanderlust hit me extra hard.

County Wise

I'm so glad you said this because I visited Rome last summer and just didn't quite click with the city.  It was actually pretty terrible, but this makes me think that maybe I should give it another chance!!

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Please do, Adrianakille!  Two things made a difference to me in both Venice and Rome.  In both cases on the first trips, I was either a poor graduate student or starting out my career and didn't stay in great places. In Venice in particular where you stay can make a huge difference and it's worth paying more for.  Also when you go is crucially important.  Summers in both Rome (definitely) and Venice (usually) can be very hot, plus the cities are extremely crowded with the normal amount of summer visitors plus cruise ships constantly discharge more.  So I find fall (except November in Venice), winter and early spring to be the best times to travel there.

I agree with others that Luzerne is magnificent.  I especially love the Spreuerbrücke, a very old bridge that was partially destroyed by fire many years ago.  But it is very, very old and under each eave is a scene from the plague.

As for Paris, it's not my favorite city, even though I have traveled though and love almost all other parts of France.  I think for me it goes to the fact that I have lived in Paris for long stretches, including 2 straight years finishing my dissertation in the 80s and for month-long periods since.  That doesn't mean I don't love many of the places there, however, and some time soon I'll post some photos.

I love this question and the different answers!

Internationally Known

This is such a hard question, but since everyone is responding with International cities, I'm going to chime in on some of my favorite Domestic places. And while they aren't exactly cities, they are more like towns, that's exactly the point. They are smaller, but cool and funky and fun to visit.

My favorites.....Sedona, Az, Moab, Ut, and Estes Park, Co.  All small towns with gorgeous scenery, great shopping and dining, and a welcoming, down to Earth, cool feel to them. I'm heading back to Sedona in April, and hope to re-visit Moab and Estes Park one day.