cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venice

Highlighted
City Slicker

Venice

Want to travel to Venice for a day. Any suggestions on how to plan?

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies
City Slicker

Re: Venice

Try to walk as much as you can. The city will tell its history itself.

Or, you may use a list like this: https://tripplannera.com/things-to-do-in-italy-venice

City Slicker

Venice in one day is hard to do, it depends on what you want to see. Visitacity.com can help you pick the attractions you want to see and put them in order for you too.

Internationally Known

To sample the best of Venice in one day, you may want to consider "free walking tour". 

http://www.venicefreewalkingtour.com/

I found free walking tour in European cities always good. Although it is said "free", you can pay to the guide a tip (you decide) after the tour. 

Nationally Recognized

Rick Steves has good free audio guides for a couple of the top spots: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

When we were standing out on the back of the Grand Canal vaporetto listening, we noticed two other couples doing the same!

City Slicker

Aw, Venice! I wouldn't do too much planning...it's a very walkable city. Maybe 1 or 2 things you really want to do and leave the rest up in the air and enjoy!

City Slicker

If you're planning on flying in and out make sure you arrive on an early flight and leave on quite a late flight.  The airport is quite a long 'water taxi' ride from the main part of the city.

If you're taking the train, the rail station is pretty much central to the main attractions.

We found it easiest to obtain a good detailed map (the laminated, waterproof type) and start at a convenient and easily located popular point (e.g. St. Marks Square, The Rialto  Bridge, etc.), and then work your way along the winding streets away from the most 'touristy' areas for lunch ad dinner.  Then work your way back toward those areas for sightseeing.

There are a few parks which will be highlighted on your map and any one or more of those would be a good place to rest your weary legs.

As other posters have suggested, the internet and various guides are well worth consulting BEFORE you go and will probably help you decide what routes to take based on your personal interests.

Be warned that many eateries in the popular tourist locations are expensive and can be crowded during typical meal times.  Likewise water taxis during 'rush hours'!

City Slicker

be cautious when buying your train tickets. There are 2 Venice stops. I made the mistake of not knowing. Venice mestre is on the outskirts of venice and Venice Centre is the stop on actual venice. Just be aware. Have fun!

City Slicker

Yep, that first stop almost got me too.  We ended up flying out of Venice to get back home and it was cool that we took a boat from our hotel right up to the terminal.  Great city.  Can't wait to go back.

Nationally Recognized

I whole heartedly agree that Venice in one day is not enough.  We were there 4 nights and we didn’t have time for everything.  We walked the entire time we were there except for the water taxi ride to Murano.  Definitely at least visit St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge.  There are sign on the walls of most intersecting walkways directing you to locations.  If you have time I can not recommend enough to visit the top of the T. Fondaco dei Tedeschi building near the Rialto Bridge.  It’s free and has the best views of Venice.

Have a fun trip.