cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venice Vaporetto Pass

Nationally Recognized

Venice Vaporetto Pass

We will be visiting Venice for the first time in April. We will be there for 3 nights (Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning)

We are looking at getting the Rolling Venice Card for 6 euro each, which will allow us to get the 72 hour vaporetto pass for 22 euro each. 

I have a few questions:

1. Can these be purchased at the same location? And if so, where? We will be coming into Venice by train, so closest to the train station would be best, so that we can get it right away. 

2. Does this include the ability to travel to the smaller islands off of Venice? We would like to visit Murano and Burano and also Torcello if possible. 

3. How long is the travel to these islands and is it fairly easy to see them all in one afternoon? How much time would you allow at each island? (Also, are they worth going to or would it short change our time in Venice?)

Any other Venice suggestions are also greatly appreciated! 

5 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Venice Vaporetto Pass

I’m not by far an expert on Venice or the Vaporetto tickets, but I do remember seeing a large Vaporetto ticket station at the waterfront just outside the train station.  Check online to see if there is a route map.  We took a water taxi from San Marcos Square for free to Murano, just had to attend a demonstration at a glass blowing company, which was really nice.  We walked around Murano for a little while and then grabbed a Vaporetto back to the main island.  I would visit Murano for sure, we didn’t get to Burano but I hear it is very nice.  You can do both islands in less than a day.  We walked almost everywhere on the main island.  We stayed at the Holtel Carlton on the Grand Canal.  We loved it, free breakfast and the train station is right across the Grand Canal.  If you are planning on going inside San Marcos buy tickets ahead that have skip-the-line, although that line was long also.  We didn’t go inside.  I hope that helped some.  I know there were some recent stories about Murano and Burano.  I have only done one so far, more to come later.  Happy travels.

Internationally Known

I second gefe57's suggestion on the Murano visit. Just ask at your hotel, they will usually hook you up, as the glass blowing places depend on them for business. We had a free water taxi as well, picked us up around 9am,  dropped us off right at a dock where a gentleman from the glass place met us, ushered us directly in and explained as the workers demonstrated the glass blowing, then took us up to the showrooms. It was low pressure, and we didn't feel obligated. It was interesting to see all the expensive fantastical pieces, but we did buy a few little small pieces (that we liked) in the cheapest area as good will (key chains, fridge magnet type stuff) , but it really wasn't necessary. We caught the vaporetto over to Burano and walked around a bit before lunch time, and had a nice relaxed lunch, before catching vaporetto back to Venice arriving back around 4pm. It's not very far at all, probably 10 minutes by boat between the islands is about it.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks for the info, guys! So if we do have the Vaporetto pass, that would get us back and forth and between the islands then? With the discount provided by the Rolling Venice card, that seems like the way to go for just a 28 euro per person investment in exchange for Vaporetto travel over 3 days. 

We are not staying at a hotel, we have an AirBnb in the Dorsoduro/Santa Croce area. (Not sure exact location as they haven’t sent the address yet but based on description/reviews it is close to Università Foscari, and 15 mins walk from the train station)

many restaurant recommendations? I’ve heard to stay away from the touristy ones that have English menus for the best food, so I have been trying to learn basic food words in Italian to help translate. I also have the google translate app too, but I figure why not learn as much as possible before we go? We are also thinking of going to the market and cooking dinner one of our nights since we will have a kitchen and I’ve heard that Venice is quite expensive to eat out for every meal. 

Internationally Known

Dallasp92,  I posted a few stories on Murano this morning.  Don't know if they will be motivation for you or not, just some fun info and sights.

Nationally Recognized

Great! I will check them out now 😊