cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venice - New Tourist Tax

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Venice - New Tourist Tax

I read recently that Venice, Italy was considering a Tourist Tax.  Today in an email I received from Get.com confirmed the tax starting in 2019.  The tax amount will be somewhere in the ballpark of €2.50 to €10.00.  It’ll be like an admission fee to the island.  This is fee will not be charged for visitors staying in a hotel because those fees are already included in the hotel taxes.  There is also an exemption for regional residents, business travelers and students.  The monies made from this tax will be used to help maintain the island and provide more security.  It’s not a huge expense but just another expense added to travel.  I just wanted to share this info so those going to Venice would not be caught by surprise.  The article did not say how the Tourist Tax would be collected.

4 Replies
County Wise

Re: Venice - New Tourist Tax

Wow! Thank you for sharing. I traveled to Venice last March and am looking to return so this is very helpful information. 

Internationally Known

I wonder how in the world they're going to collect that. Have turnstiles near the train station bridges or something? I can see a big potential mess with people backed up trying to produce hotel reservation proof and all the luggage that's carried through there.

Internationally Known

That was the big question in the article I read, how are they going to collect it?  If you have a hotel it said you won’t be charged because you are already paying taxes.  I just read about somewhere else, but I just had a brain malfunction so I forget where but it is an island country,  that is considering a visitor tax to help with conservation.  It’s like one airline started charging for checked luggage so everyone else had to jump on the money grabbing bandwagon.  

Internationally Known

@gefe57: the Island country you are referring to is Bali. The fee is supposed to be used to collect more of the plastic trash that is clogging its beaches and villages. Of course, administrative expenses and corruption will likely eat away most of the additional income.

In general, I kind of support the idea of designated fees if you as a payer will ultimately benefit from them. I remember having to pay Can$ 10 at airport departure for the construction of a new airport. When it was finally ready, travel got much more convenient.

The fee in Venice is likely geared towards the cruise ship industry. Venice already complaints for a long time that it gets swamped with cruise ships but tax revenues are close to nil. Those tourists use all the infrastructure but don’t stay overnight and rarely go out for a meal.