cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using card benefits - travel insurance

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Using card benefits - travel insurance

Our trip to Scotland is mostly cancelled, with IHG stepping up big time and allowing free cancellations on rooms. Our flight is non-refundable (thanks British Airways- one of the only airlines who is not allowing people to cancel at this time) and so is our train ticket from Ft. William to Glasgow. I would like to use the travel insurance on the card, assuming that this MIGHT be covered, to get reimbursement for those things. Has anyone used this benefit before? Was it easy enough to get done and what info did you need outside of the transaction date and business? We're you successful in actually getting reimbursed?

Thanks to all!

8 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Using card benefits - travel insurance

I'll get the response ball rolling.  Sorry, not the way you want though.  I have not tried the trip insurance on any of my cards yet.  I am interested to hear the answers.  Great question.  Jeff

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I'm in the exact same situation with British Airways for my flight next week to Paris as well as my hotels. It's absurd that they are not waiving cancellation/rebooking fees like other major carriers. Additionally, they are asking passangers to send them a direct message (DM) on their Twitter page for inquiries about their flights!

I reached out to Barclays and they directed me to the Mastercard Benefits website (MyCardBenefits.com). I started the claims process but emailed Mastercard to see if I even qualify. I am still waiting to hear back from them. The limit is $5,000 of non-refundable expenses but the reasons for cancellation/interruption that qualify are quite limited. These are the reasons they list but state including but not limited to:

1.    Sickness, injury, or death of you, your family member, or your traveling companion, who booked travel with you, which results in medically imposed restrictions.
2.    Inclement weather which prevents a reasonable or prudent person from traveling or continuing on a trip.
3.    Change in military orders for you or your spouse.
4.    Terrorist action or hijacking.
5.    Call to jury duty or subpoena by the courts, either of which cannot be postpones or waived.
6.    You or your traveling companion's dwelling made uninhabitable
7.    Quarantine imposed by a physician for health reason.

After you submit your claim, Mastercard requests quite a bit of information. This is the information they are requesting so far:

Please submit the following documentation within 180 days from the cancellation or interruption:
1.    Covered card billing statement showing the charge for the covered trip.
2.    Proof of a covered reason, such as, orders to report for active duty, subpoena to appear in court, etc.
3.    For sickness, injury or death, please send us a completed physician’s form.
4.    Copy of the cancellation policy of the common carrier.
5.    Any other documentation that may be reasonably requested by us or our designated representative to validate a claim.

On another note, this will definitely be the last time I book with British Airways, which shouldn't be difficult since I've only used them one other time in my 15 years of traveling to Europe. 

I'll keep you all posted on the process. 

Regards,
Amin

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thank you so much for the information!  I'm sure they are getting a ton of requests now, so fingers crossed that you get a response soon.  I will be checking to see if I qualify as well. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Good luck with this! I have no travel plans at this time (save for a business conference - fingers crossed), but I am definitely following the discussion. This could be very informative for everyone.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thanks Belfry Bat!  

So I called and talked to a guy who said he needed to transfer me to claims. No one in claims answered, the first rep came back and said they were slammed and to leave a message. They said they would get back to me in one business day, but that didn't happen. I tried to do it online and it didn't recognize my card number.  I think I'm going to wait until after our trip was scheduled and try to do a claim then, as the Premiere Inn will not cancel our rooms on each end of the West Highland Way, so we need to add those costs to the train and plane tickets.  

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Hey krazie10 - British Airways just announced that they are giving travel vouchers to those who had flights between March 14th through the end of May but you have to apply for it. You may want to check their website: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/flights/book-with-confidence. Here is what they say:

You’re travelling with us between 14 March to 31 May

You can cancel your booking and receive a voucher for the same value. Vouchers are valid for 12 months and can be used to any destination. Your voucher can be used as part payment towards a future booking to any destination. It must be redeemed for travel on flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure. For holiday bookings please see the Terms and Conditions below.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

With regards to the travel insurance, I actually emailed them but the response that I received was to file a claim, attach all requested documentation, and the examiner they assign to the claim will determine if I qualify or not. In addition to what I listed below, they are requesting the following documentation (see below). I feel like I'm going to trial or something with all of the supporting documents being requested.

The following is a list of documents required in order for us to process and expedite your claim:

• Itemized invoice/receipt supporting the total charge of the return common carrier ticket.
  • The monthly statement you receive from your issuing bank that shows the charges that were placed on your Card on a given month. This statement needs to include all of the charge transactions for the purchase of the common carrier ticket.
  • Itemized invoice/receipt supporting the total charge of the common carrier ticket.
  • Copy of the itinerary detailing the carrier used for travel along with the date, time and departure and destination locations.
  • A very detailed statement describing the event written in your own words. Provide as much information as possible to fully describe the incident. Please include dates and location of incident.
  • Written proof of settlement or outcome of the claim filed with the common carrier (i.e. airline, cruise line).
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thanks for the info!  We are going to look into it now :)