Hey all, I am needing to cancel a trip to Barcelona that I am supposed to be leaving for in 10 days. Unfortunately, it was booked through Travelocity as a combo flight/hotel so I feel I may have a battle on my hands. Is anyone getting refunds instead of airline credit since there is a "Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel."
My hotel was supposed to be non-refundable, but I believe most hotels in Spain are shut down so I am hoping they will give me a refund anyway. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Webbie20bb, I've never used Travelocity before but if they are following the unfortunate trend right now that most other travel related companies are, they should offer either a refund or travel credit even if you booked a non refundable trip. Refund or travel credit works if you are still planning on a near future trip. Just did a quick check and found a statement that Travelocity has options to change or cancel your trip. You probably already saw that but just wanted to share. Good luck and hope you can rebook soon because Barcelona is awesome. Jeff
I was reading some of the fine print and it was making me second guess it. I guess I will find out soon enough, but they do not want travelers to contact them within 72 hours of their trip. It will probably be 2021 before we can get there, but it does look amazing.
I hope that you were able to work this out. Our trip to Scotland was non-refundable, but the hotels, campgrounds and trains in Scotland all refunded our trip. The only business that did not refund was British Airways, and they offered us a voucher that we have to use within a year.
I am finally within 72 hours of our original departure date so I was able to attempt to get in contact with Travelocity. I have already been on hold for an hour and anticipate being on hold for much longer. I did get an offer to get a refund on my hotel room and a voucher for my flight. I was hoping for a flight refund since the flight was cancelled, so I am going to try to argue it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out... Kranzie10, it sounds like a pretty good deal for you with the refunds and air credit. Hopefully all this will pass soon and you can get another trip booked!
Webbie20bb, Good luck with Travelocity. I hope you can get your refund. I know all too well what it's like being on hold. I spent hours on the phone (mostly on hold) when I had to cancel our Asia trip at the beginning of this mess. Our hotel reservations were easy because we used points and they were redeposited into our account right away.
Thanks Gefe57. It's funny that parts of Asia seem like some of the safer places in the world now (wouldn't have guessed that in February). I wouldn't mind an airline voucher in most cases but after this mess, I'm not sure when travel will return to normal or when work will allow me off. I work in a hospital and I know they will be pretty strict about travel for awhile. After > 2 hours on hold, I think Travelocity will win the battle tonight, it's bedtime. Will try again tomorrow.
It actually looks like I will get a full refund for my flights and no cancellation fees! It took about 7 hours of holds and transfers and I had to complain and decline the airline credit multiple times, but I am pleased with the outcome.
That's great news! Hope you did not have to hold your phone for 7 hours...I generally use Skype when I expect long hold times. I don't look forward to the end of May when I have to start canceling all my arrangements for a 2 months long trip to Europe 😩