cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to Germany

County Wise

Traveling to Germany

Hello,

Has anyone traveled to Germany, and used their Barclay World Card?  If so, can you use the card for most everything, or do you need some cash?

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Traveling to Germany

I just got back from a trip to Munich and Berlin.  Munich is more credit card friendly than Berlin, but not by much.  I would plan on more cash than credit.  Most the place I encounted if they took credit it was a 10 euro min, and a lot of places didn't take credit.  Something that I had trouble with was public transport in Munich took credit while Berlin did not.   

City Slicker

Re: Traveling to Germany

I just got back from Hamburg and was surprised how many more places accepted credit cards. It really has improved over that past couple of years, hotels and most restaurants should be fine. Don't expect cafes and smaller shops to accept it. Really surprising was, that most supermarkets even accepted it. Depending on the city, most pulic transportation vending machines do not cerdit cards either. It definitely makes sense to have cash.

You may run into issues where they try to not take your card, because it doesn't have the chip for the chip+pin authentication method which they prefer. Make sure to always have a matching id on you, they're must more likely to check it than they do over here, especially since you don't have a chip in your card.