cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Junkies, In Need of Travel Tips.

City Slicker

Travel Junkies, In Need of Travel Tips.

First off, hello everyone. I'm new to the community and hope to get some positive feedback.

Here goes.... My mom has always wanted to visit Europe, for over 20 yrs she has told me her dream was to visit any and all European countris. So now that I'm able, I'm wanted to take my mother on a surprise trip. Below you'll find the cities that we will be visiting. I'd like to hear from the community suggestions on 'must see' and 'must eats'. We will be traveling on a medium expense/tour budget. 

Travel Dates: March 2019

Locations: London | Amsterdam | Paris | Rome | Venice [For the most part we will be near the city centers]

Duration: 2-3 days (per location)

Thanks everyone. I'm excited to get some feedback.

P.S. My mom is really into the "unexplained" or curious things. Things like stonehege and catacombs, places which we are probably going to visit

-travel travel travel
10 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: Travel Junkies, In Need of Travel Tips.

An underappreciated delicacy in Rome (aside from more common things like the pizza that you pay by the weight) is the fried cod. There are many places, and they range from simple, where the cod is fried and wrapped in newspaper, to more fancy, but this one is amazing and if you are nearby try it: Dar Filettaro a Santa Barbara. If not, I would just google the places you know you are going to and find something else. I'm sure it will be great!

City Slicker

Mmmm... I just check out your suggestion. It does look pretty delicious. Not sure about the anchovies though (shown on thier webpage)... Although, maybe I'd like them. :) 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll put a note down as a 'keep an eye out'.

-travel travel travel
Nationally Recognized

I would also say that when you are in Amsterdam you can find some super cheap Indonesian places that are cafeteria style, so not fancy, but SO GOOD. I have never had Indonesian food that good in NYC, and that's really saying something.

Nationally Recognized

Must eat in Amsterdam: apple pie at Winkel 43! I'm not typically an apple pie fan, but this was soooooo good — we went back twice during our visit!

Have a fun trip :)

City Slicker

Is there something "special" in this treat, being that it is in Amsterdam? HAHA.

I do love me some deserts though. I'll have to look up the location, thanks for the heads up.

-travel travel travel
Nationally Recognized

Maybe THAT'S why we found it so addictive, haha!

Internationally Known

London - Sticky Toffee Pudding!  I have dreams about this amazing dessert.  Pret a Manger is an amazing place to grab a delicous sandwich for lunch - quick and cheap. 

Rome - Caccio e Pepe is their signature dish. I found myself addicted to this amazing pasta by the time we left. 

Make sure to get your tickets to things, especially in Rome, in advance. The lines are insane if you do not pre-book tickets to the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and the Vatican. When you pre-book the Colosseum/Roman Forum (on one ticket), you will have to pick up there, but the line to pick up pre-booked tickets is shorter at the Forum. 

In London - get an Oyster card instead of individual tickets. It is cheaper and you can get a refund on unused funds before you leave.  

Have fun on your vacation!

City Slicker

Thanks for the note on the oyster card. Had no idea. Just looked up some youtube videos on it. I think that might be a requirement to get around the city for us. 

And I'll take a look at some of the food options you mentioned. My mom isn't one to step too far out of her comfort zone when it comes to food... but if I'm buying she's trying... haha.

-travel travel travel
Internationally Known

I would suggest looking into Eatwith.com dinners in some of the places you mention. We'd done them in Paris, Rome and Venice, and they were some of the best highlights of our trips. You get to meet locals and other travelers, and learn about the life of the locals in their homes, and enjoy a great meal as well. It's usually not much more expensive than dinner at a medium - upscale restaurant, and so much more enjoyable.  We spent over 5 hours at the one in Paris, just talking and drinking wine after dinner and making new friends with travelers we still communicate with to this day. Just my $0.02!