cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Hacks, Tips and Tricks

City Slicker

Travel Hacks, Tips and Tricks

What are some of your favorite travel hacks, tips or tricks? We would love to hear from you and possibly feature our favorites on the Barclaycard US Facebook Page!

22 Replies
City Slicker

Re: Travel Hacks, Tips and Tricks

even i need the same...

City Slicker

• Head to tourist attractions like amusement parks and museums during the week instead of the weekend.  Places like these are more likely to be busier since people who live there are also enjoying the activities on the weekend.

• Ask locals and hotel staff which attractions are a must see and which do not live up to expectations.  They will have great insight.
County Wise

I start scoping out Groupon a few months before I travel to a new place. You have to read the fine print carefully for expiration dates, but lots of great deals are to be had on attractions and amazing local restaurants. 

I also always take multiple memory cards on every trip and store them in different places and use a different one every day. I consider my photos my prized possessions and I would be really upset if I lost them. This way if I lose my camera off a cliff, on a bus or my luggage is lost or stolen, I don't risk losing every photo I've taken so far. 

Stately Explorer

I use Kayak to monitor airfair's throughout the world.  Check out different dates and monitor when the flights are cheaper.

An example would be in March and April there were prices coming up for Dublin in the 500 to 600 range round trip from my closest airport.  Now if you look in July you can't get anything under 900 usually.

So I monitor the sight and if I find a day that will work I will track that and book it if I can make the trip work.

I will also monitor BWI military terminal to see what they have going on.  I can always take a hop with my spouse (Retired Marine) which might cost us 20 bucks or less to go to Germany or Spain.    Now this is the ulitmate travel hack. 

City Slicker

An excellent suggestion, and I recommend taking this one step further.  We take with us a two sets of rechargeable batteries, a charger that can handle more or less any voltage in wide use in the world (Eneloop, specifically), and two memory cards.  We keep the spare batteries and memory card with the camera, and every night we load the pictures from the memory card into our netbook.  That way, we usually have two copies of a picture at any given time.  We've had batteries die on us at an inopportune time before, and a memory card, too.

Stately Explorer

Marriott has a great little program in Beta right now.  Points rewards will give you 250 points for each like on facebook.  You have to remain liked at least one week.  You can earn 2000 points per month.

City Slicker

I always check flight prices early on Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning.  From my experience, this is often the best time to get deals!  I agree with the suggestion to use Kayak.com.  I do that as well.  Note that Southwest airlines fares aren't shown on Kayak.  If you live where Southwest Airlines has routes, be sure to check the Southwest fares as well!  (IMHO Southwest has an excellent and very flexible frequent flier program.)

City Slicker

Campervan returns.

Hire companys offten need there vans relocated one way. You can get the rental free and just pay for your petrol if you return a Van to the destination they need it. Ceck out rental companys pages for a list of vans and when they will need them where.

City Slicker

I love to scope out airfare deals to plan my next destination and regularly comparing using HipmunkMomondoKayakGoogleITA, and Skyscanner.  I just recently started using and now LOVE Adioso.  I also use Airefarewatchdog to kind of keep a general eye on flight sales.  Since, for me, a large part of the expense is airfare, I try to get the best deal possible so I can do more while I'm in my vacation/exploration destination.