Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things Must to Do in Puerto Rico

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Things Must to Do in Puerto Rico

Hi, wise travellers,

Am going to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving, one week. Any good ideas that I can use to make my trip more enjoyable? :)

Thanks!

5 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Things Must to Do in Puerto Rico

Lucky15 wrote:

Hi, wise travellers,

Am going to Puerto Rico for Thanksgiving, one week. Any good ideas that I can use to make my trip more enjoyable? :)

Thanks!

Spend a day or two walking in the Old San Juan. Beautiful streets, great food and drinks and amazing Spanish architecture. Also, visit the Del Morro Fort - go in the afternoon and stay there till evening. There is a nice green area in front of the fort and locals fly kites there. The parking lot is just across the street (Ballaja lot) and you can use this lot as your base for Old San Juan area. 

El Yunque National Forest is a must place to visit. There is a nice hike to the La Mina waterfalls. Don't forget your raincoat/umbrellas !!! On the way the forest if you are taking Route 66 stop at "Polo Al Carbon" - a food truck next to the highway for the best BBQ chicken in the island. 

A trip to Isabela and Rincon should be on your list if you are looking for some awesome beaches away from the crowd. Maria's Beach in Rincon is a great place to be. Isabela beach is nice for surfs but it is little more crowded. 

Isla Verde in Carolina is a great place to stay and it is right next to a great beach with lots of restaurants around.

If you still have some time left you can take a tour at Bioluminescence bay in Laguna Grande. But, you have to book a tour with the Las Cabezas Nature Reserve office in advance. You can also, drive across the island to Ponce for some awesome beaches.

There are other beautiful islands like Vieques and Culebra but for that, you have to take a ferry and spend at least a day or two there to enjoy the beauty. We did not have enough time to enjoy those islands. 

A car is must in Puerto Rico and try to rent a subcompact car as they are much easier to drive in the crazy San Juan traffic. By the way, forget about following the traffic rules when you are there. Nobody cares about standard traffic rules and it is actually fun to drive like outlaws.

Nationally Recognized

Awesome! Thanks!

Nationally Recognized

Definitely rent a car.. Isla Verde is close to the airport (about a 5 minute drive).  We stayed at the Hampton Inn, they have a free happy hour, snacks, and massages by the pool everyday from 5-7.  They also provide beach chairs and towels, the beach is a few blocks away.  There are several restuarants in walking distance and Old San Juan is about 30 minutes away.  

My favorite part was Culebra, you take the ferry from Fajardo, its $2.25 one way per person and takes about 90 minutes.  There really isnt anywhere to stay in Fajardo other than the hostel and guest house that are one block from the ferry.  For the ferry tickets are limited, you have to arrive when the sales office opens and wait in line then return for the ferry.  The schedule can be found online, I would recommend going later in the day if you can.  We went first ferry in the morning, arrived for tickets at 7 am when they said they opened but didnt see a single worker until almost 7:45, then were told the ferry leaves at 9:00 am but it didn't board until 10:30.  When we walked down the night before to try to buy tickets the place was nearly empty for the evening trips.  Coming back from Culebra was much easier, there was no line for tickets and the ferry left right on time.  You can rent golf carts to drive around the island, the sales people are waiting for visitors at the ferry port to transport you.  Dinghy Dock was great for dinner with seating on the water and delicious food and drinks!  If you dont mind spending the money take a charter flight, its about $50 per person one way but only takes 10 minutes.

Also visit Old San Juan and El Yunque. 

City Slicker

I would highly recommend you pack mosquito repellent. Aside from that, if you plan to drive it can be a bit wild, so have your best calm designated driver. Be prepared for most businesses to be closed on the holiday.

Find out where the locals go, and go there! Tourist areas are beautiful, but it is always good to explore it the way a local would.

Can't miss the Rain Forest, el Yunque and the beaches of course.

City Slicker

I didnt have so much time to do much in Puerto Rico -  the weather didnt cooperate and there was an airport strike that basically stole our last day, but a tour of El Yunque is a must! It was wonderful! I found a tour on Viator, there are many companies.  They picked us up at the hotel and took us on a few hikes through the rainforest, absolutely amazing!