Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southeastern Roadtrip Ideas

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Southeastern Roadtrip Ideas

All-

We'll be leaving Michigan for sabbatical trip 3 in Mid February to spend a few weeks in Destin FL.  After that we have 2 1/2 weeks of unschedule time before we need to be in Gatlinburg TN.  We will be road-schooling and focusing on American History and Geography and are looking for some great places to visit. Have already been down the west coast of FL and the Keys and are looking at the northeast coast of Florida, Georgia, or South Carloina.   Any ideas?  The fort on Amelia Island stuck out to me and might rent a place there for several days to check that and other local attractions out.

Thanks!

Jim

14 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Southeastern Roadtrip Ideas

I have spent relatively little time in this area, but I was in Charleston, South Carolina a couple years ago for business. I wanted to visit Fort Sumter but I was not able to get enough free time. If the ferry is running at that time of year, and if you like historic sites, you might consider Fort Sumter if it is open at that time of year.
Internationally Known

Kudos BelfryBat, it looks like there are a few ferry / tour times in early March. 

-Jim

Internationally Known

Thanks, I hope it works for you.
City Slicker

There's a great history museum in Augusta, GA f you make it through there. I think it's $4 entry. I visited when i had some free time during a business trip and was pleasantly surprised at how well put together it was. There was hardly anyone there, which seemed a shame to me, but my coworker and I had the whole place to ourselves! 

Nationally Recognized

There is a lot in that area. Be sure to visit Saint Augustine FL, the oldest city.  There are 2 Spanish Forts in the area, frequently a Spanish Galleon in the bay.  Much old architecture and museums. The beaches along the east coast are beautiful if the recent hurricane didn't ruin them.  Jacksonville has a lot to see and good beaches and restaurants too.  Just north into Georgia near Waycross is the Okefenoke swamp full of fascinating nature.  If you are interested in Civil War history the Andersonville Prison National Historic Site is worth a visit.  Georgia is full of historical sites you can visit.   Warm Springs where President Franklin D Roosevelt had his second white house and used the natural waters to ease his polio suffering.  And President Jimmy Carter still lives near Plains and I believe he still teaches Sunday School sometimes and the public is invited. The schedule is available online.  All this is southern Georgia.  I used to live there and except for Atlanta, I pretty much like the state.

Internationally Known

Thanks everyone, so far it looks like we will take i10 across to the Jacksonville area and spend several days exploring from Cumberland island down to St Augestine, maybe staying on Amelia Island.  After that will take 3 days traveling north through Savannah Beauford, to Charleston and then over to Columbia for Congaree National Park.  It will be a quick scouting trip to see if it's an area we'd like to sepnd more time in later on.  Going to miss Augusta if we go this route but I love being by the water and old seaside towns!

County Wise

If you have enough time in the Savannah area, you should check out Bonaventure cemetery.  It's filled with history and is absolutely gorgeous.  

Internationally Known

ladjms wrote:

If you have enough time in the Savannah area, you should check out Bonaventure cemetery.  It's filled with history and is absolutely gorgeous.  

Thanks @ladjms, looks nice.  Plan to stop if the schedule allows.  I will post our final itinerary in a month or so.  I appreciate all of the input! -Jim

Internationally Known

Hi jimmyn, I know it's kind of off topic for your question, but since you're road schooling, I thought I'd through out there 2 things. 1. Depending on your route to Destin from Michigan, if you're coming around north Alabama: the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville near the Marshall Space Flight Center would be a good stop.  2. When in Destin, you might consider riding over to Pensacola to the National Navy Aviation Museum. It's free and very cool. Blue Angels often practice there, and you can see them for free as well if they're practicing during your stay on the gulf.  Both would be good road schooling opportunities. Have Fun!