cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quick tips for easy summer travel and we will feature out favorites on the Barclaycard US Facebook page!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Share your quick tips for easy summer travel and we will feature out favorites on the Barclaycard US Facebook page!

Share your quick tips for easy summer travel and we will feature our favorites on the Barclaycard US Facebook page!

Check out our Daily Dip album for more great tips on Facebook!

8 Replies
Highlighted
County Wise

Re: Share your quick tips for easy summer travel and we will feature out favorites on the Barclaycar

When we plan vacations in the summer, it's usually to the Jersey shore. To keep costs down, we usually rent a place using VRBO.com or network locally through our community's Facebook page. We also plan our activities in advance (water skiing, parasailing, etc.) and try and use coupons as much as possible. Dining out for a family of four can get quite expensive, so we also pack meals to BBQ and plenty of beach snacks (often buying in bulk from Costco). Ordering delicious take out seafood meals (crab night is always popular!) also helps to avoid the chaos of restaurant eating every night. :) Thank you!

Highlighted
City Slicker

Re: Share your quick tips for easy summer travel and we will feature out favorites on the Barclaycar

If you've been looking at flights & hotel pricing for a quick summer getaway, make sure you clear your cookies before you book. Also-- Tuesdays are the best days to book!

Highlighted
County Wise

I actually pre-pack bags - one for the pool (with googles, sunscreen, towels), another for the beach (buckets, shovels, sand toys), another for the park (blanket, frisbee, blow up ball) and leave them in our mudroom ready to grab and go. After we use them we put everything back into the bag except for anything that needs to be cleaned. We wask those like towels and then put back into the bag. Makes my life much easier.

Nationally Recognized

When renting a car check the details of your credit card's coverage before declining the CDW. Many credit cards come with extensive rental car insurance packages, but the fine print can be tricky.

For example, the Barclaycard Arrival MasterCard seems to cover you for up to 15 days within your country of residence, but for up to 31 days outside of it. Also, "luxury vehicles", convertibles and SUVs are also often not covered by credit card insurance.

Finally, be careful before taking your rental vehicle on an unpaved road (which is often the only option you have to get to your destination, e.g. in Hawai'i). However, this is almost always a violation of the rental car contract so remember that you're not covered if you ditch it in the woods!

Highlighted
City Slicker

The most important tip is i think we need to plan our trip in a very perfect way like where we are going to stay, what will be the most famous sights there, what to do in nights and all that. This planning help us to make our trip more memorable.

Highlighted
County Wise

Understand the most recent data available as to when you should book a flight. Many people know by now that booking on a Tuesday at 12pm PT is supposed to be the time at which prices are cheapest since airlines reset their prices to compete at that time. However, recent studies have shown that depending on where you travel you can pay significantly more or less depending on how far in advance you book. I recently traveled to NY from LA and booked the ticket 6 months in advance. Had I waited and booked more like a month or two months out, the ticket could have been cheaper. Traveling abroad requires you to book earlier (like 3 months) than short domestic flights (about 30 days).

Highlighted
Internationally Known

If you're cruising down the road on a warm summer day and start to have issues with your car overheating, one way to "air cool" your engine is to turn up the heat full blast....and make sure to roll down the windows (windshield defrost setting is the best)....it's gonna get pretty hot. The heat caused by your engine is what heats the vented air in your car. The more hot air you can remove from your engine, the cooler your engine will remain. I've had to use this trick twice in my life. Both times, getting to my destination and not being stuck on the side of the road or at a random body shop was well worth the heat.

Highlighted
City Slicker

Easy summer travel can be greatly improved if one invests in a really good, lightweight cooler. Mine is fabric, very modern looking, and keeps things VERY cold for over 24 hours. This allows a traveller to go local by visiting farmers' markets, local food producers, farms etc. Finding great picnic sites can be part of the adventure. While finding wonderful restaurants is part of the joy of traveling, sometimes it's equally enjoyable, less costly, and easiest to do as many Europeans do: become an enthusiastic picnicker!