cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Francisco-Need Input!

Highlighted
City Slicker

San Francisco-Need Input!

Going to visit San Francisco for the first time next month.  It will be me, my husband, and our baby who will be 8 months.  We're staying in North Beach.  What are some walkable attractions and restaurants we can't miss?  Also, any tips on doing Alcatraz?  Is it possible with a baby?...lol. Thanks!  

2 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: San Francisco-Need Input!

Hbell123,  it is highly recommended purchasing your Alcatraz tickets online in advance.  With advance purchase you will avoid the lines and if you book far enough in advance you should be able to get the day and time you want to visit.  Alcatraz is not stroller friendly so I would recommend a back carrier for the little one.  It's been a while since I've been out there but I can tell you it is very interesting.  Make sure you take the opportunity to take pictures, you can get a good skyline view of the city and the GG Bridge from the island.  

It depends on where you are staying in North Beach for what is within walking distance.  You have Fisherman's Warf, Pier 39, hopefully the seals will be hanging out for you to watch, Coit Tower Ghiadelli Chocolate factory, China Town isn't too far, there is a lot to do in and near North Beach.  As for restaurants I have not eaten at North Beach very much.  I love Buba Gumps on Pier 39, I know, real original.  If you will have a car parking is quite expensive.  With the little one it will be difficult to use Uber or Lyft.  

Be aware of your surroundings while walking around, San Francisco has a huge homeless population.  I live about an hour from the city and it's been a little bit since I wandered into North Beach.  My wife's family lives in SF and Daly City but nowhere near North Beach.  In the early days of my career I worked in SF ('85-'88) but my work usually kept me on the freeways.  It was very different then as well.  

I hope this helped a little.  Hopefully it won't be raining during your visit.  

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Re: San Francisco-Need Input!

Hi hbell123

Husband and I recently spent a couple of nights in San Francisco. Actually stayed in North Beach area too. Hotel Zoe in particular.

gefe57 is right. Get your tickets in advance if you want a specific time. We actually walked up to the ticket booth on pier 33 thinking we'd go the same day but they were out that day so we got tickets for the next morning. 

We actually did see a few strollers though. So very doable with a baby.

I haven't posted about it yet but Crissy Fields is always nice to walk around. Park at the Crissy Fields designated parking (or *secret* Sports Basement) and stroll around the area and enjoy the view of Golden Gate Bridge.

I'd avoid lobster or crab sandwiches at the Pier 39 stands. We were disappointed.

We're not foodies and are pretty much just obsessed with one restaurant, Cha Cha Cha, and their jerk chicken and Cajun shrimp dishes. There's one in Mission and one on Haight. Neither of which you may be comfortable bringing a baby.

if you don't have a car you can visit Sausalito via ferry. Super cute town on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge.