cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari in Africa

Internationally Known

Safari in Africa

This one is also on our buckets list since many years. Ideally, we want to rent a car, stay at small places and just go by ourselves (we are not necessarily into tour groups but we understand that sometimes it is just necessary and actually might be helpful). I have read about many different places but somehow it is just tough to figure out what's best. We met a couple that was totally impressed with Botswana and Namibia. They apparently went through some game reserves for a self driving tour. What put me off the last couple of years is the high price of accommodations within the game reserves. $ 1,000/night just seems a bit off the charts given that we want to travel for a couple of weeks. I saw that some of you posted some pictures from safaris. What was your experience? Any hints where to go and stay?

2 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: Safari in Africa

I don't have any specific tips since (1) I went to Kenya and (2) it's been a while, but consider hiring a private guide & car rather than driving yourself: the cost isn't much in the context of the entire trip, and not only will they help you navigate local areas, they're also ridiculously good at spotting animals.

Internationally Known

Re: Safari in Africa

You made a good point. At least for the parks it might be advisable. It is just hard to nail down the best parks, all claim to be the one you have to see. It is not gonna be Uganda, the recent kidnnapping made me thinking...