cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP: Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Stately Explorer

STEP: Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

Hello everyone! 

Is anyone part of the US STEP program? Is it useful? Worth the time? I'll be traveling a lot over the next year and want to avoid any mishaps.

8 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: STEP: Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

I have not used STEP in the past. But I plan to sign up next spring prior to our trip to Cairo and Dubai. I think it is well worth the peace of mind to advise the embassy of our plans, and just as important is the fact that they will contact us if they have any alerts to share. 

RJean
Stately Explorer

Ooooh, I didnt know that they would contact you. i thought it was just notifications. Great to know :)

Stately Explorer

I enrolled in it before I went to Peru in May. I got some text notifications but that was it (no news is good news in this case).

Internationally Known

Absolutely do it.  There is little downside, and a lot of potential upside if you are traveling to an “iffy” country.  We signed up before our last trip to the Middle East and Africa.  We were not bothered by unnecessary notifications from the State Department, and it provided at least some reassurance (at least in our minds) that someone knew where we were.

Stately Explorer

That sounds great! I'll defnintely sign up for it. Thank you everyone!!!

@traveler917 wrote:

Absolutely do it.  There is little downside, and a lot of potential upside if you are traveling to an “iffy” country.  We signed up before our last trip to the Middle East and Africa.  We were not bothered by unnecessary notifications from the State Department, and it provided at least some reassurance (at least in our minds) that someone knew where we were.

Internationally Known

I signed up before I went to live in Haiti for a few months. I don't really see a downside except that I found that they sent too many notifications, and had I not been in Haiti already I would have probably been scared to go. For instance, when there were protests, they made it sound like we were going to be attacked any minute, when in reality a road was blocked. I felt that a lot of things were blown out of proportion. I also think that if you are traveling to a place, you are probably already somewhat aware of the dangers (like of course you'd know about a cholera outbreak, etc.) and I think there are more balanced places to get the information. So that's all to say take some of their alerts with a grain of salt.

Internationally Known

Hadn't heard of this, but signed up for it today "just in case" before we head to Scotland & Russia next week. Thanks for the tip!

Internationally Known

Ed, have a fantastic trip.  Be waiting to hear about your journeys.