cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbing It In!

Internationally Known

Rubbing It In!

IMG_6982 (2).JPGFontana Del Porcellino

Around the world, there are several bronze statues that claim to bring good luck, if you give them a little rub. If you have visited Florence, Italy, you might have snapped a pic of this famous boar. Legend says, if you place a coin in its mouth and rub the snout, you will return to Florence.  Or maybe you've rubbed the Charging Bull in the financial district of New York City. Let's hear about which statues you have touched during your travels!

RJean
12 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Rubbing It In!

Everard t'Serclaes in Brussels

Il Porcellino in Florence 

Stately Explorer

I've "twirled the mustache" of Budapests Bud Spencer statue.

Internationally Known

IMG_3528.jpegI didn't touch this one, but it looks similar to yours.

Internationally Known

Yes, I can see the family resemblance. Too funny! Thanks for sharing!

RJean
Internationally Known

This isn’t a rubbing it in but I wanted to share with Trips4me.  This is one of my friends in my yard.  I was trimming a couple bushes in the backyard and this little critter came over to see what was going on. D86292DF-07A7-41D3-A906-F12780349907.jpeg

Internationally Known

Now a response about rubbing it in.  I haven’t participated in this ritual but I have seen many people rubbing this and rubbing that, throwing a coin here and there or placing a coin on a statue.  I have thrown a few coins.  The funniest one I saw was in Paris, I can’t go into much detail, but there was a white stone statue of a naked man outside the restrooms at the  Lourve and a certain extremity was so dirty from people touching it it was almost black.  I have a picture of the statue but I won’t post it here.  

Internationally Known

@gefe57, your "dirty" statue story is hilarious!!

And, I don't know what I would do if I had one of those lizard-things in my yard. The only thing I see in my yard is an occassional cottontail rabbit, squirrel or my dog!

Internationally Known

Wish I could post the picture but it’s probably not appropriate for this site.  I posted the lizard picture for you because you did a story about one like it.  Some days we have several running around on the back fence, sidewalk and retaining wall.  It’s been a long time but I used to have a small garden snake in the yard.  

Internationally Known

@gefe57, I just compared the two lizards and they look very similar! Might even be the same kind.

Just saw your fishing story. Nice story with your grandson holding the fish! I'd kudo it, but I'm out of kudos for the day. Will catch up tomorrow!