cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Internationally Known

Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

We're set to go to Scotland in August, and just found out we'll be in Edinburgh during the Tattoo at the castle. Looks like we can get tickets. Has anyone been to that? Worth the money and time? It seems to be a big deal. I like bagpipes as much as the next guy, but not sure how 2 hours or so would be. Any seating tips for best value? Thanks guys!

8 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

We went and loved it.  You can see my story and pics if you search on this website.  The pics show what great seats we had.  We actually joined the Friends of the Tattoo so we could get early access to the tickets and have seats facing the Castle.  After seeeing the show I would say though that is not necessary, seats mid-level and middle of the field would be fine as well (just my opinion you know).  It often rains so be prepared for that but we were blessed with a sunny day, which had its own issues as the sun set in front of us and created some viewing problems (you can't win ha).  

It is very crowded, lines of people walking up the hill to the Castle to get in.  

The Tattoo is not just bagpipes, it is bands and performers from all over the world.  And the setting for the show just cannot be beat!

Internationally Known

Thanks dyrd1955, that's some great info! I was just looking at your pics and you did have some great seats. I've been looking at seats on the sides about in the middle on the left looking towards the castle. I don't think the sun would be quite as bad as where you were If we get lucky and have sunshine. I want the opposite side on the right, but can't get the system to show me any there, I thought it would be slightly better for seeing the castle projections, and would be better for sun. But they're all pretty good no matter where you are looks like, it appears to be a fairly small venue. Sounds like we need to leave plenty early to walk up to the castle due to the crowds. I appreciate that info, sounds like it's worth the effort!

Internationally Known

We actually had an early dinner at the Cafe Hub (we had a group with us so we made reservations), which is located close to the Castle.  After dinner we were able to merge with the crowds (they were walking up the hill from the parking lots).  It saved us a lot of time as well, we had dinner instead of standing, waiting in the crowds.  

Internationally Known

Well, this is strange.  I was posting an answer to your last question and my answer and your question have been deleted??

I am amazed that you are going to fly all night and then go to a late night show! I hope it is a great one for you!

That website on the Hub Cafe looked correct to me.  We had dinner at 5:00 pm and our show was at 7:30 pm.  Maybe email them?

Internationally Known

Who knows, maybe because I put that link in there. Anyways, I'll email them, thanks for the tip. Yeah, it's not the best scenerio but I think if we can get into the hotel early and crash for a bit, we'll be ok. We have to leave the next day to go north, so it may be the only chance we get. You must have gone on a Saturday when they have an earlier show. Only one show the other days, so we had no choice except for 9 on a Tuesday. We're staying at the Radisson Blu on the Royal Mile about half a mile away from the castle, so at least we won't have to deal with transportation. Cheers!

Internationally Known

Yes, it was a Saturday.

Have fun!!

Nationally Recognized

If you're there during the Tattoo, that also means you're there during the Fringe Festival! If that's not why you're going, you should totally carve out time to see a couple shows.

Internationally Known

Thanks for the cool tip Lenin1991, I hadn't heard of that. I've just been looking at the website and it looks amazing! We'll be staying most of our time around Stirling, so should be able to hop back and forth to see some of that. Thanks again!