We are hoping to head to Europe in June for a nice long road trip, but we have not settled on a desitnation yet. We have traveled extensively in Germany, so we don't want to head there, but are open to other ideas. We will be traveling with 3 kids, 12, 10 and 5.
What was your fave road trip in Europe and why? Any places we should definitely see?
Hi kranzie10, the first trip that came to my mind is southern Italy. Very diverse and so much to see. But with 3 kids in tow maybe not ideal because sometimes distances might just be too long.
I would therefore highly recommend the Netherlands. The country is fairly small, has very picturesque towns, awesome beaches, wonderful islands such as Texel, within one hour drive you get to your next destination, you can ride bicycles with the entire family in a safe environment ($8 a day), they all speak fluent English and prices with the exception of Amsterdam are reasonable as well. Amsterdam can easily be reached from the U.S. Happy to provide further details, we traveled there extensively.
I am not sure how long your trip is, but I cannot agree more with Liketraveling on the Netherlands. Maybe you can combine the Netherlands with Belgium (Bruge, Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp, ...). If you have plenty of time, you can further go south to Alsace Wine Route in France (Colmar, Strasbourg, and numerous beautiful small towns) which is absolutley gorgeous. Without driving long distances, there are so much to see and do...
I've driven a fair amount over there, I'll list my top favorites in order.
1. Spain - lots of quiet rural roads without much traffic, especially in the south.
2. France - Bit more congested than Spain in general, but ideally I would do both Spain & France together and you'd have a wonderful trip if you have time for both.
3. Scotland - Would be my number 1 for the amount of different things you can see in short distances, but the left hand driving is a bit nerve-wracking. We drove over 800 miles and I never relaxed much, had to be constantly on edge and vigilant. I'd still consider it for #1.
4. Italy - Easy and beautiful, but the toll system drives me nuts. You're constantly paying tolls in the north, but the south is much easier around Puglia, there you just have to watch out for ZTL zones and speed cameras.
5. Croatia - Istrian peninsula is great and easy, the main coastal area is a bit arid and desolate looking south to Dubrovnik, so not as beautiful imho.
6. Slovenia - Beautiful country, but be sure to read up and get a vignette that's required instead of paying tolls. It's easier but not explained at border very well (we went on a whim and had to figure it all out, but managed to dodge a fine until we got one).
Hope that helped!
Thank you for all of the great suggestions! There are so mnay places to see that we hvae had a hard time narrowing it down, but this will definitely help :)
Many great responses already, but I'm surprised not to see my favorite: Ireland. So much variety, fast & easy to get around.