cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Trip Across Country

Highlighted
City Slicker

Road Trip Across Country

Hey guys - one of my best friends & I are going on a road trip starting in Seattle. 

Here's the route: 

Seattle --> Yellowstone --> Salt Lake City, UT -->  Denver, CO --> Kasnsas City -->  St. Louis --> Chicago -->  Niagara Falls.

Any recommended places to eat/stay/check out in any of those places? I'll have my Nikon/ GoPro and will want to get some cool shots!

Thanks!! 

6 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: Road Trip Across Country

I lived in Northern Utah for a bit quite a few years ago and I absolutely loved Park City. It's a big ski town but there is plenty to do there year round. Great places to eat, cute shops and activities on the mountain. If i remember correctly, I believe it's less than an hour from Salt Lake City.

I also absolutely loved Antelope island which I think is 1and half to two hours from Salt Lake City. It is beautiful and you can actually walk the beach to Salt Lake.  You can make it a quick stop and just drive through or you can camp and really explore. If you drive through you will be surrounded by free-ranging Bison. You can also get amazing photos of the reflection of the mountains.  Here's a link https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/antelope-island/

I love road trips! Have fun!

Community Manager

Hi @peacelovebecs, I stopped at Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis on my CA > PA road trip. It was some of the best BBQ we had on our trip! Have fun on your road trip! 

City Slicker

I lived in KC for 7 years, you can't go wrong with any of the classic BBQ places: Arthur Bryant's, Gates, Joe's Kansas City.

If you're traveling KC --> STL in the afternoon/evening, hop off I-70 and get a glass at Les Bourgeois winery in Rocheport on a bluff overlooking the river.

Definitely check out the City Museum in St Louis. It is not like any museum you've ever been to, great fun to explore like a kid, should get unusual photos.

Stately Explorer

You should go to the Olympic Oval and skate. I was a competitive short track speed skater and the Oval is the fastest place on earth for you without a car or an animal carrying you so you should check it out!!

Stately Explorer

The Garden of Eden in Lucas, KS is a quirky and bizarre folk art stop along the route. It features several concrete sculptures built by Civil War Veteran S.P. Dinsmoor between 1907 and 1928. Many of the sculptures depict various religious and political topics, some of which would have been a bit taboo at the time. For the admission fee, you can tour the house and the backyard mausoleum where, according to his wishes, you can see Mr. Dinsmoor's remains.

The site is a few miles north of I-70 in Russell County, KS. If you are looking for the weird, unique, and downright interesting, it is a great stop. You might want to check the hours if you are going in the offseason, but some of the sculptures make for some amusing photographs. Where else can you see a giant concrete snake handing an apple to Adam and Eve - who were originally constructed naked until the city made Mr. Dinsmoor cover them up.

Here is the link:

http://www.garden-of-eden-lucas-kansas.com/

Further east, Lawrence, KS is an eclectic college town with some nice restaurants, a couple of breweries, dive bars, museums, and a surprising amount of fall foliage given its location.

Nationally Recognized

If you take the southern route from SLC to DEN (i70), Moab Utah is 100% worth the stop.  Home of great shoping, dining, beautiful scnenery, arches national park and the canyonlands to name a few.  Even a one night stop would be worth it to me.  We stayed at the HIE with the waterfall pool.  As a side tip, if you haven't been to Yellowstone before you are in for a treat.  We only planned one day there on our cross country trip and ended up moving a different reservation so we could spend two (and that wasn't enough!).  

-Jim

Tags (3)