cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendezvous in Paris, Stopover Somewhere on the Way to Brussels?

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Rendezvous in Paris, Stopover Somewhere on the Way to Brussels?

Hi guys. I looked at a few zombie threads for ideas but thought maybe a new thread was in order. MY husband and I are going to Nice-->Monaco-->Montpellier-->Mars (Family's house in Ardreche)-->Paris.

We will be with family most of the time, so I have planned the Paris part to be a romantic getaway and also scored a room for 2 nights at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome with points. We were in Paris once before but were just riding bikes through on a scrappy broke bike tour, and skipped a lot of must-dos.

I am trying to come up with a plan for 2 1/2 days in Paris that combines a thing or two off the beaten track and also the Louvre, which is the only/main thing DH wants to see while there. I know it's gonna be super touristy, but is there anything you'd recommend that helps to strike the balance between must see and low key?

(On another note, I will have one night by myself after he leaves, after which I am meeting a friend in Brussels for two days. I could stay in Paris one more night, or go to Brussels one day early, or stop someplace in between for a night. Any receommendations are welcome!)

Tags (2)
9 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Rendezvous in Paris, Stopover Somewhere on the Way to Brussels?

This sounds like a great trip. The Park Hyatt Paris Vendome is awesome, I stayed there once on Hyatt points. No idea if you want to splurge on breakfast there, a cheaper option is "Le Pain Quotidiene" not far from the Place Vendome. They are in NYC as well, maybe you checked them out before. On the way to Brussels is the city of Tournai, great historic town center with lively town square (lots of bars and restaurants). Oh, and maybe you want to visit the "Crazy Horse Cabaret" with your hubby in Paris?

Internationally Known

If you're into literature, like Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and the whole "Lost Generation" / Roaring 20's thing in Paris, you might like a tour (on your own or with a guide) of the spots on the Left Bank & St. Germaine that were significant to that era (homes of Hemingway, Stein, etc and the cafes they frequented, La Rotunda, La Coupole, etc.). We had done the big touristy stuff on a previous visit, and really enjoyed a day with a low key stroll around the many still existing locations,  and dreaming of the "Midnight in Paris" movie.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks! I hadn't thought of booking a walking tour but I will definitely look into it. One of the most fun things we did in Reykjavik last year was an economic walking tour of the 2007 crash, which I found out about from this group (I forget from who) and I really loved getting all that info. Plus, I'm an English professor;) Last time I went to Simone de Beauvoir's grave and it was a really moving experience.

Internationally Known

I really loved Bruges, which is not too far from Brussels. It is small enought to see in a day or so and is very walkable. 

Internationally Known

There are a number of free walking tours in a Paris and we did walking tour of Montmartre. We really loved it. Great cafes, views of the cities and of course famous spots where impressionists used to paint.

Nationally Recognized

Thank you!

City Slicker

I'll throw my vote in for Montmartre and the Impressionist historical area of the 18th arrondissement of Paris. You could begin the day at the Louvre and easily make your way walking up through the 1st to the 9th to the 18th and watch the sun set from the Sacre-Coeur. The 18th is just my favorite for cobblestone streets, quaint shops and classic romantic vibes. 

Nationally Recognized

Yes, I agree with the above, about the walking tours. One of my favorite things is just walking around the area. 

Nationally Recognized

And since you can no longer tour Notre Dame... I'm sharing my view from the top. Best view in Paris.theviewfromNotreDame.jpegfrom the top of Notre Dame