cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pedestrian Only Zones

Internationally Known

Pedestrian Only Zones

I love pedestrian only zones. No motorbikes whizzing by, no busses clogging the streets, no horns honking, just a wide open space to wander around and check out the shops and resturants. So far, my favorite is the La Habra in Barcelona.

Which pedestrian only zone is your favorite?

RJean
5 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Pedestrian Only Zones

I don't know that I have a favorite, but I love that many of the high streets in the UK are like that. Perth comes to mind as a lovely one during the holidays (and I think somewhere I posted a travel story about it).

There are a number of sections of New York City streets that have been reclaimed from vehicular traffic over the last decade, and it is grand to see people sitting enjoying coffees amid the planters where cars used to race by. Even in every New Yorker's least favorite place, Times Square!

Internationally Known

Definitely a big fan. Europe is a dream come true when it comes to pedestrian zones. Always wonder why it is so difficult to establish them in the U.S. As Echochaser21 already mentioned, NYC finally got its act together and it is extremely well received. Still much more potential there.

One of the picturesque pedestrian zones in winter can be found in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a city in the most southern part of Germany close to the border of Austria. Check out the enclosed pictures...Garmisch-Partenkirchen (December 2017) (28).jpg

Garmisch-Partenkirchen (December 2017) (22).jpgGarmisch-Partenkirchen (December 2017) (26).jpgGarmisch-Partenkirchen (December 2017) (29).jpg

Nationally Recognized

Beautiful photos! I was going to echo that NYC has done a lot better lately with that. I would also note that in San Juan it seems quite a few small streets have been blocked off to pedestrians. And soon we will be visiting Nice, which apparently has the Rues Pietonnes area, which I am excited to visit!

Nationally Recognized

Quartier Petit Champlain in Quebec City. Google for photos, it's almost ridiculous.

Nationally Recognized

Wow, Liketraveling, that is now added to my bucket list! :-)