cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Way To Get The Best Value For Hotel Stays

Internationally Known

One Way To Get The Best Value For Hotel Stays

Yesterday I booked a 5 night stay at an IHG property. I used IHG reward points for 3 of the nights and will pay for the other 2.

I am sure all of you know that hotel prices can fluctuate a lot. Some are higher on weekends or if high traffic events are going on, etc. 

Yesterday, instead of surfing the net, I called the IGH number to find out the $ cost for each of 5 nights (Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed) so that I could use points for 3 of the most expensive and pay the least amount for two I'd be paying with $.

Believe it or not, they showed a different price for each night! Sunday and Wednesday were almost $100 more than the Sat, Mon, & Tues. Go figure! So I used points for the most expensive and will pay $ for the others. 

RJean
2 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: One Way To Get The Best Value For Hotel Stays

I forgot to mention, you get one free night a year on your card anniversary.

Internationally Known

Re: One Way To Get The Best Value For Hotel Stays

Yes, the anniversary night is great (if the place you want to book needs only 40,000 points or less, the place we booked needs 50,000 per night.)

All of the really high end properties are out of reach since they changed the perk from anywhere in the world to a max of 40,000. Back in the day, we stayed at some incredible places with anniverary nights, like the Amstel Hotel Amsterdam and the Carlton in Cannes!

And now in order to book 3 and get 1 free, you have to have enough points to cover all 4 nights (even though you won't be using all those points in the 1st place!). Oh well.  

Each year it seems the perks are getting chopped a little. And, I undertand that...

Remember the good old days when you could book 1 award night with points at the Radisson Blu and get the next night free? Sure miss that one!  

RJean