cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Canada by RV?

Nationally Recognized

Northern Canada by RV?

Hi all. Since there is a wealth of knowledge here, I'm going to ask a broad question. I have almost a year to plan a trip next summer, and I am thinking of trying to do an RV road trip in Canada with myself and my wife and my brother, SIL, and 2 kiddos. I am wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this and can offer advice as I move forward withmy research. I am thinking of Eastern Canada, such as Nova scotia, New Foundland, Nunavit, and in between. We can probably carve out about 2 1/2 weeks, with travel to/from NYC on either end for a total of 3 weeks. I know this is super vague, but this is just the beginning of my wondering/wandering!

3 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: Northern Canada by RV?

Hey there!

Though I have not done it in an RV I have done the Cabot trail and Nova Scotia, as well as New Brunswick from VT and certainly want to give you some tips!

• On the Cabot trail are very few locations an RV will be able to get to that are off the beaten path. I found that car/camping gear was much easier and puts you into better locations at little to no-cost. Also an RV will not be able to go on most ferries. Perhaps a large SUV would be better? It's certainly something I would suggest.
  • Mileage will cost you, especially with the higher prices in CA.  (of course our money is worth a tad more so who knows, might balance out)
  • Quick note that that its a TON of mileage to get into Nova Scotia and I suggest stopping in places like the Bay of Fundy overnight for some rest. It took me (from Burlington, VT) ages just to cross into Canada once I went through Maine. So be prepared for some very long stretches of driving. If I recall it took about 12-14 hours just to get to the top of Nova Scotia from the border.
  • Go to Meat Cove if you are in Nova Scotia, its one of the most peaceful places in the world and the most North Eastern part of North America (not counting Islands).
  • Make sure you go during Puffin season! Those little cuties make it all worth it.

I hope that helps a little bit!

Nationally Recognized

Thanks so much! This is great info! Also, I'm enjoying a little of that Vermont summer right now;)

Tags (1)
Stately Explorer

Ah its beautiful isnt it! I wrote 2 articles with some watering hole suggestions and summer must do's! Check them out if you like :