cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normandy D-Day Site/Mont Saint Michel

Highlighted
City Slicker

Normandy D-Day Site/Mont Saint Michel

I'd like to visit these two places. Day trips from Paris seem too long. Does anybody have suggestions on where to stay in the Normandy area?

3 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Normandy D-Day Site/Mont Saint Michel

We found Bayeux to be the perfect home base for traveling the Normandy area. Mont St Michel is about 1.5 hours from there, but all of the beaches, cemeteries and museums are really easy to get to from here.  You can also visit the tapestry and they have an amazing church in town. 

Internationally Known

I have never been there yet.  I would absolutely love to be there this year because on June 5 as part of the celebrations my son (who is a Navy Seal) will be one of the people parachuting.  They will be flying across the English Channel as they did on D-day (there will be others doing this on June 6) and then jumping.  He wanted to do a static line jump like they did back then but they are doing a free fall.  He’s taking a GoPro.  I can’t wait to see the video if he’s allowed to send it to me.  My hip replacement keeps me from going this year?  Happy searching.

Stately Explorer

Yes! I always suggest people stay in Caen or Bayeux, France to visit Normandy. You'll certainly need ~2 days because the sites are all quite far apart even by car. Le Havre and Etretat are 2 hours as is Mont Saint-Michel in the opposite direction so you can really just drive all over to view all the WW2 sites. 
If you stay in Bayeaux it gives you the chance to see the history there and the Tapestry of Bayeux which is certainly worth it.