cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York City visit ideas for 70 year olds

Highlighted
City Slicker

New York City visit ideas for 70 year olds

My husband (71) and I (70) are visiting New York City in October - first time for my husband.  What are some of the best places to visit while we are there; where is a good place to stay that is centrally located; and restaurants?

We'll probably go for around 4 days and don't want to miss the best sites.  I'm thinking Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, 9/11 Memorial, etc.  

5 Replies
Community Manager

Re: New York City visit ideas for 70 year olds

Hi @kathy999, the attractions you mentioned are always great to visit. Central Park is a beautiful place to see in the fall with the leaves in such vibrant color. Enjoy your trip!

Stately Explorer

Kathy, 

Anywhere in Manhatten will get you close to the big tourist sites but the Upper West Side is really pretty. I would go by budget on this one anywhere you can find a deal, hotels can be outrageous in NYC. You should try to see a show on Broadway if you have time while you're there. They can be pricey but if you try for a weekday matinee you may have some luck. I also really enjoy the Hayden Planeterium (Neil Degrasse Tyson is the Director) There is so much to do in NYC, it all depends on your interests. Have a blast! Per

County Wise

Purchase citypasses for yourselves. you'll save money on tickets to palces you want to see and also time. Tourbus is a good idea too, you'll get on and off wherever you want for the whole day, you don't have to walk around or not traffic. 

I go to NY once a year and there are a lot of  to see... you for sure want to see the Grand Central produce stores, Eataly is one of the new places to see. West Village has some coolest Chess shops. 

Midnight drink at Rockefeller center is cool by the fountain if it's not that cold

City Slicker

Native NYer here. I've never been to the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building is exceptionally overpriced, but if they're both must-dos for you, I bet you can do most of that stuff in one day. I would reserve some time to go to The Cloisters on the upper tip of Manhattan (accessible by subway), especially if you're going to be here in the fall. Fall in NY is one of the best seasons anywhere (along with spring in DC). You can't miss the Met and the Frick museums. Museums sometimes aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you shouldn't miss some of the best in the world. The Museum of Natural History in New York blows just about every single other natural history museum in the world out of the water and the Met is truly special. You should have good weather but if you check beforehand and there is a rainy day, they're great options. 

City Slicker

Hi Kathy,

I'd advise you to not overwhelm your schedule, just pick the top attractions to see in the city. You may find this list helpful: https://tripplannera.com/things-to-do-in-usa-new-york?el4

Try to walk in the city as much as you can and try out the large variety of good restaurants in NYC.