cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Alaskan Excursions

Internationally Known

Need Help with Alaskan Excursions

Hi, My wife and I will be flying into Anchorage and will have a day and a half there before leaving on our cruise.  Looking for any recommendations on how to spend the time before our cruise.  Appreciate the insight.  

3 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: Need Help with Alaskan Excursions

Will you have a vehicle? Denali may be out of the question with your short time frame considering it’s 4 hours each way from anchorage, but there is a Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood (about an hour) and the drive out to it is nice along the Turnagain Arm. This is also along the way to Whittier if that is where your cruise goes out of? Actually along the way to Seward too if that is where your cruise is going out. I know for sure there are transfer services from Anchorage to Whittier cruise port that include the Conservation Center, but not sure about Seward. 

There are trips to Kenai Fjords National Park out of Seward too and that is about a 2.5 hour drive from anchorage. So more manageable for a day trip. And the Kenai Fjords are beautiful. 

Really you can’t go wrong with just driving either. There’s great scenery and lookout points all over. 

If you want to stick to the anchorage area and/or don’t have a car, I haven’t spent a ton of time in Anchorage proper, but I do know there is a zoo and a couple museums. 

One more thing, if you plan on getting souvenirs, Walmart actually has a good selection of t shirts, hats, mugs etc for cheaper than the shops you’ll see on your cruise. So if you want to get that out of the way early, hit the Walmart in Anchorage (there is also one in Ketchikan once you’re on your cruise) 

Internationally Known

I would second the recommendation for Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park unless you will see them anyway as part of your tour. Beautiful and a great drive from Anchorage. It's worth renting a car, and you can do it in one day.

Internationally Known

Thank you! 

@srdshelly2 wrote:

I would second the recommendation for Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park unless you will see them anyway as part of your tour. Beautiful and a great drive from Anchorage. It's worth renting a car, and you can do it in one day.