cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must Do's for Lake Tahoe?

Nationally Recognized

Must Do's for Lake Tahoe?

East Coast gal here, heading to Lake Tahoe this Friday and super excited about it. I did a bit of research but wanted to see if there are any 'must do's' for the area? I'll be staying in South Lake Tahoe for a week, renting a car, and the general plan is to visit areas on the North side, South, and do a bit of hiking. I know the weather is iffy, seems like when we land in Reno it'll be in the high 70s, but South Lake Tahoe will be anywhere between high 50s to mid 60s. 

Thanks!

-Vicky

7 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Must Do's for Lake Tahoe?

Vicky, Next weekend looks like a chance of rain but ya never know.  There is a mega amount of snow in the higher elevations in the Sierras so your views around the lake should be amazing.  Lake Tahoe is very full (my son lives just over the mountains near Carson City) so that means the Truckee River will be flowing high and might make for some nice pictures (Northshore Area).  At Northshore I would check out Northstar Village and Squaw Valley.  The tram ride to the top of Squaw Valley gives amazing views.  Keep in mind there still may be crowds of skiers.  Just throwing some things out there for ya.  Carson City has some historic sites and Virginia City isn’t super far.  Heavenly Ski Resort at South Shore has a tram to the top but you’ll have to check for operation days/hours.  It’s been eons since I’ve been to the top so I can’t give anymore info other than the views of Tahoe are amazing.  You could check out Lake Tahoe Cruises, I don’t know the prices but I’m sure it would be beautiful.  If I think of anything else I’ll write it down.  Have an amazing trip.  I wanted to get up to the Sierras for some snow pictures but my hip replacement surgery this Tuesday put a damper on that idea.  

Jeff

Internationally Known

I second Virginia City. Typical Wild West town with lots of historic buildings, shops and restaurants, all in a picturesque setting. Getting there is half the fun. If weather sucks at Lake Tahoe head back to Reno (not really, not better than Atlantic City, just older 🤪). 

Internationally Known

Vicky, thought of a few more places.  Emerald Bay on Lake Tahoe and Donner Memorial State Park, the place of the Donner Party.  Donner Lake is in the Truckee area.  While your there check out Truckee.  I love the hardware store there on the main drag.  It’s not just hardware.  Big store.  I’ll keep thinking about it.

Jeff

Internationally Known

Vicky, 

it it looks like a little weather forecast change for you this weekend.  Still some clouds but Friday and Saturday doesn’t look like rain.  Hope you have a great trip.

Jeff

Nationally Recognized

Thank you both so much! I'll look into those some more. I'm staying positive about the impending weather, I'm just so happy to be able to get away!

Internationally Known

Just saw the snow report.  Tahoe is still at 144% of normal snow pack at the higher elevations.  Awesome photo ops if weather cooperates.

Highlighted
City Slicker

@gefe57 wrote:

Just saw the snow report.  Tahoe is still at 144% of normal snow pack at the higher elevations.  Awesome photo ops if weather cooperates.

Oh that's great to hear! Glad there are still enough snow to enjoy and take photos there.