cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Rushmore & Black Hills - recommendations for kids?

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Mount Rushmore & Black Hills - recommendations for kids?

My son has convinced me that we NEED to take a road trip this summer.  We'll be traveling from Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore.  I've only been through that area once, and it was on a cross-country road trip where we were kind of pressed for time (this was pre-kids, and we needed to get back to Minneapolis somewhat quickly, so we pretty much just saw Mount Rushmore and zoomed home).  

Any suggestions for things to do with kids in the Mount Rushmore & Black Hills area, or anywhere along the southern part of S. Dakota while we're en route? 

7 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: Mount Rushmore & Black Hills - recommendations for kids?

Mt Rushmore is a get-out-and-look sort of thing, but there's a ton right around there:

• Badlands National Park is well worth at least half a day
  • Minuteman Missile National Historic Site has a launch control facility you can tour
  • Jewel Cave National Monument and Wind Cave National Park are very impressive caves
  • Custer State Park is amazing for a state park, huge with lots of buffalo and cool rock formations

The drive is not super interesting, but Wall Drug and the Mitchell Corn Palace are required tourist stops.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks.  I've seen those Wall Drug bumper stickers...now we'll be able to see what all the fuss is about!  :)   

Internationally Known

We had a great time in the Black Hills. If you get off to a late start from home and need an overnight the Holiday Inn Express just off the freeway in Sioux Falls Brandon has a nice indoor pool with a mini water park.  Badlands as mentioned was fantastic so take some time to explore and wall drug is right at the exit.  

We rented a condo in Custer and it worked out good though keystone and hill city are other good choices.  We also viewed the crazy horse monument from the road (it didnt look like it was worth paying to get up close).  Have fun!

Internationally Known

Also - we ate at the Alpine Inn (Hill City) and really enjoyed the food, service, and atmosphere!

Nationally Recognized

Thanks!  Last time we were there we also viewed Crazy Horse from the road for the same reason.  :)

City Slicker

I second Custer State Park! The entire area is absolutely beautiful, and there are plenty of hikes that are kid-friendly. Badlands has tons of trails that follow well-maintained boardwalks as well. Camping in both areas is very easy.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks, allieleon!  We had a great trip, and Custer SP was amazing (Badlands, too!).  :)